Re: file:///

Matthew Kerwin
On 25 September 2014 18:54, t.petch <[hidden email]> wrote:

I do notice that since the last post I saw
from you on this, in 2013, you have asked people to discuss this on
github.  Following the link in the I-D, I get 'The page cannot be
displayed' but really, that is irrelevant for me, since if I am going to
discuss it, I want it to be here on the apps list, not on yet another
list (the uri list would be an alternative).

To date it's actually mostly been discussed in private conversation via email. I recently did a major rewrite, so draft 12 is a bit skeletal, but I was planning on bringing it back to [hidden email] once I figured it could stand up to a bit of serious scrutiny. Of course, it's a public document, so if people want to chew it up right now they're more than welcome. If there's a better place to discuss it, I can push out an update with a better link.

Would anyone be upset if I said it should be discussed either on [hidden email] or [hidden email] ? And is there a preference for one over the other?

I do use file:/// most days of the week in the flavour used by IE and
would be happy to work to see it standardised; which then requires a WG
to show sufficient interest, or an AD to feel motivated to take it on
(which you also know:-).

The more people who can contribute, the better. (...I think.) Especially people who actually use the scheme. If, one day, we can get it pushed through the process, that would be brilliant.

Cheers
  Matthew Kerwin
  http://matthew.kerwin.net.au/

RE: [apps-discuss] file:///

Dave Thaler-2
On 25 September 2014 18:54, t.petch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I do use file:/// most days of the week in the flavour used by IE and
> would be happy to work to see it standardised; which then requires a WG
> to show sufficient interest, or an AD to feel motivated to take it on
> (which you also know:-).

Personally, I'd love to see it deprecated and replaced by something more
useful/interoperable.  file: has problems where today it won't even
interoperate between two machines (because of different interpretations
of percent-encoded octets), so is only safe for use for files on the local
system or ASCII-only file paths.

If someone wants to write a draft on file: usage and the problems with it,
some useful source material is on Dave Risney's blog at:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2006/12/06/file-uris-in-windows.aspx
(and a few of the comments at the bottom of it).
I might even be convinced to help co-author such a draft if someone else
took the lead.

-Dave

RE: [apps-discuss] file:///

Marcos Caceres-4

On September 27, 2014 at 5:27:14 AM, Dave Thaler ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > Personally, I'd love to see it deprecated and replaced by something
> more useful/interoperable.

We've tried a few times, e.g.,:
http://app-uri.sysapps.org/

However, never seems to catch on.

RE: [apps-discuss] file:///

Gannon Dick
There are some things that just don't look nice under Best Practices.
But I'll take Best Practices over Pig Lipstick any day of the week.
2.1 Privacy Considerations

This section is non-normative.

Using unique identifiers (e.g., a UUID) as an instance identifier can be exploited by an adversary as a digital finger print. This can allow a developer to, for example, restore cookies even if the user has cleared cookies from a user agent. As such, if the user agent relies on unique identifiers as the host component, then it should provide end-users with a means of regenerating the authority component. For instance, A user agent can the regenerate the instance identifier when the user clears the user agent's private data.
--Gannon

On Mon, 9/29/14, Marcos Caceres <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Subject: RE: [apps-discuss] file:///
 To: "Dave Thaler" <[hidden email]>, "Matthew Kerwin" <[hidden email]>, "t.petch" <[hidden email]>
 Cc: "IETF Apps Discuss" <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Monday, September 29, 2014, 4:02 PM