Re: [css-writing-modes-3] [css-inline-3] Need for new Ahem font version with addition of 1 glyph with Vertical_Orientation property set to U

Re: [css-writing-modes-3] [css-inline-3] Need for new Ahem font version with addition of 1 glyph with Vertical_Orientation property set to U

Myles C. Maxfield
> We need to create a new version of Ahem font

I’m happy to do this. I can probably have it done pretty soon, too.

Thanks,
Myles

Re: [css-writing-modes-3] [css-inline-3] Need for new Ahem font version with addition of 1 glyph with Vertical_Orientation property set to U

fantasai
On 07/27/2016 02:42 AM, Myles C. Maxfield wrote:
>> We need to create a new version of Ahem font
>
> I’m happy to do this. I can probably have it done pretty soon, too.

Wonderful!

I think the glyphs we need are:

1. Copy the 'X' glyph (1em black square) to the following characters:
       一二三四五六七八九十〇囗火水木金土
       U+4E00 U+4E8C U+4E09 U+56DB U+4E94 U+516D U+4E03 U+516B U+4E5D
       U+5341 U+3007 U+56D7 U+706B U+6C34 U+6728 U+91D1 U+571F
    This will allow for basic tests to be constructed with upright CJK codepoints.

    (We could probably get away with just 水 and 囗, but I figure we may as well
    go with all the digits, a square-like glyph, and the five elements.)

2. Create a glyph that is a 20% centered vertical stripe and another that's a
    20% centered horizontal stripe, both within a 1em square advance.

    Assign the horizontal stripe to
      'Χ'  U+03A7
      '横' U+6A2A
    and the vertical one to
      'Υ'  U+03A5
      '纵' U+7EB5

    This will make it easy to create CSS tests for upright/sideways orientation.

    (The comprehensive testing of TR50 data would need to be done with a much
    bigger font, one with a different design than Ahem. But this will help us
    for the CSS aspects of orientation.)

~fantasai

Re: [css-writing-modes-3] [css-inline-3] Need for new Ahem font version with addition of 1 glyph with Vertical_Orientation property set to U

Florian Rivoal-4

> On Jul 28, 2016, at 06:39, fantasai <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 07/27/2016 02:42 AM, Myles C. Maxfield wrote:
>>> We need to create a new version of Ahem font
>>
>> I’m happy to do this. I can probably have it done pretty soon, too.
>
> Wonderful!
>
> I think the glyphs we need are:
>
> 1. Copy the 'X' glyph (1em black square) to the following characters:
>      一二三四五六七八九十〇囗火水木金土
>      U+4E00 U+4E8C U+4E09 U+56DB U+4E94 U+516D U+4E03 U+516B U+4E5D
>      U+5341 U+3007 U+56D7 U+706B U+6C34 U+6728 U+91D1 U+571F
>   This will allow for basic tests to be constructed with upright CJK codepoints.
>
>   (We could probably get away with just 水 and 囗, but I figure we may as well
>   go with all the digits, a square-like glyph, and the five elements.)

If we include the 5 elements instead of just water, maybe throw in 月 U+6708 and 日 U+65E5 to get the 7 days of the week?

> 2. Create a glyph that is a 20% centered vertical stripe and another that's a
>   20% centered horizontal stripe, both within a 1em square advance.
>
>   Assign the horizontal stripe to
>     'Χ'  U+03A7
>     '横' U+6A2A
>   and the vertical one to
>     'Υ'  U+03A5
>     '纵' U+7EB5

I would suggest one more mapping for the horizontal one:
 - '橫' U+6A6B
and two more for the vertical one:
 - '縦' U+7E26
 - '縱' U+7E31

They are the Japanese and traditional Chinese variants of the simplified Chinese character proposed above. Besides avoiding picking favorites, there's also a practical benefit: making the character easy to input regardless of which language's IME you have on your computer.

Also, why go with uppercase Chi and uppercase Upsilon instead of full width uppercase 'X' U+FF38 and 'Y' U+FF39? Having both would be fine too.

 - Florian

Re: [css-writing-modes-3] [css-inline-3] Need for new Ahem font version with addition of 1 glyph with Vertical_Orientation property set to U

Myles C. Maxfield
I believe I have done this.

The code used to generate the file can be found at https://github.com/litherum/AhemMaker (written in Swift). Please feel free to modify it in any way you like.

I modified the file in the most minimal way possible, without changing any of the strings inside the “name” table of the font. The name of the font is still Ahem, so it probably isn’t possible to install both this font and the old font at the same time.

For the vertical and horizontal stripes, I purposely placed them off-center so you could tell if the glyph is rotated 180°.

The result is attached. Please let me know if you have any problems with it.

ahem_myles.ttf (21K) Download Attachment

On 07/27/2016 11:59 PM, Florian Rivoal wrote:

>> 2. Create a glyph that is a 20% centered vertical stripe and another that's a
>>   20% centered horizontal stripe, both within a 1em square advance.
>>
>>   Assign the horizontal stripe to
>>     'Χ'  U+03A7
>>     '横' U+6A2A
>>   and the vertical one to
>>     'Υ'  U+03A5
>>     '纵' U+7EB5
>
> I would suggest one more mapping for the horizontal one:
>  - '橫' U+6A6B
> and two more for the vertical one:
>  - '縦' U+7E26
>  - '縱' U+7E31
>
> They are the Japanese and traditional Chinese variants of the simplified Chinese character proposed above. Besides avoiding picking favorites, there's also a practical benefit: making the character easy to input regardless of which language's IME you have on your computer.
>
> Also, why go with uppercase Chi and uppercase Upsilon instead of full width uppercase 'X' U+FF38 and 'Y' U+FF39? Having both would be fine too.

Because I wanted a half-width glyph, not a full width one. :)
The full-width case is covered by the ideographic characters.

~fantasai

Re: [css-writing-modes-3] [css-inline-3] Need for new Ahem font version with addition of 1 glyph with Vertical_Orientation property set to U

Myles C. Maxfield
Whoops. Yesterday I only tested with WebKit on a Mac. It looks like other browsers don't like the font. Please disregard this while I fix it.......

--Myles

On Aug 2, 2016, at 11:26 PM, Myles C. Maxfield <[hidden email]> wrote:

I believe I have done this.

The code used to generate the file can be found at https://github.com/litherum/AhemMaker (written in Swift). Please feel free to modify it in any way you like.

I modified the file in the most minimal way possible, without changing any of the strings inside the “name” table of the font. The name of the font is still Ahem, so it probably isn’t possible to install both this font and the old font at the same time.

For the vertical and horizontal stripes, I purposely placed them off-center so you could tell if the glyph is rotated 180°.

The result is attached. Please let me know if you have any problems with it.

<ahem_myles.ttf>

[...]

Alright, I believe this is fixed now. I’ve tested it on Firefox on Mac & Windows, Chrome on Mac & Windows, Safari on Mac, and Edge on Windows.

Please let me know how it works for you!

Thanks,
Myles

Ahem_Myles.ttf (29K) Download Attachment

Re: [css-writing-modes-3] [css-inline-3] Need for new Ahem font version with addition of 1 glyph with Vertical_Orientation property set to U

Myles C. Maxfield
Here’s the README i’ve included in the project which generates the font:

The Ahem font was developed by Todd Fahrner and Myles C. Maxfield to help test writers develop predictable tests. The units per em is 1000, the advance is 800, and the descent is 200, thereby making the em square exactly square. The glyphs for most characters is simply a box which fills this square. The codepoints mapped to this full square with a full advance are the following ranges:

U+20-U+26
U+28-U+6F
U+71-U+7E
U+A0-U+C8
U+CA-U+FF
U+131
U+152-U+153
U+178
U+192
U+2C6-U+2C7
U+2C9
U+2D8-U+2DD
U+394
U+3A5
U+3A7
U+3A9
U+3BC
U+3C0
U+2013-U+2014
U+2018-U+201A
U+201C-U+201E
U+2020-U+2022
U+2026
U+2030
U+2039-U+203A
U+2044
U+2122
U+2126
U+2202
U+2206
U+220F
U+2211-U+2212
U+2219-U+221A
U+221E
U+222B
U+2248
U+2260
U+2264-U+2265
U+22F2
U+25CA
U+3007
U+4E00
U+4E03
U+4E09
U+4E5D
U+4E8C
U+4E94
U+516B
U+516D
U+5341
U+56D7
U+56DB
U+571F
U+6728
U+6C34
U+706B
U+91D1
U+F000-U+F002

The codepoints which are mapped to something else are the following:

" " (U+20): No path but full advance
"p" (U+70): Path has 0 ascent but full descent
"É" (U+C9): Path has 0 descent but full ascent
Non-breaking space (U+A0): No path but full advance
Zero-width non-breaking space (U+FEFF): No path and 0 advance
En space (U+2002): No path and half advance
Em space (U+2003): No path but full advance
Three-per-em space (U+2004): No path and one third advance
Four-per-em space (U+2005): No path and one quarter advance
Six-per-em space (U+2006): No path and one sixth advance
Thin space (U+2009): No path and one fifth advance
Hair space (U+200A): No path and one tenth advance
Zero width space (U+200B): No path and no advance
Ideographic space (U+3000): No path but full advance
Zero width non-joiner (U+200C): No path and no advance
Zero width joiner (U+200D): No path and no advance
Greek capital letter Chi (U+3A7): Thin horizontal stripe and full advance
"横" (U+6A2A): Thin horizontal stripe and full advance
Greek capital letter Upsilon (U+3A5): Thin vertical stripe and full advance
"纵" (U+7EB5): Thin vertical stripe and full advance.

On Aug 9, 2016, at 1:01 PM, Myles C. Maxfield <[hidden email]> wrote:

Alright, I believe this is fixed now. I’ve tested it on Firefox on Mac & Windows, Chrome on Mac & Windows, Safari on Mac, and Edge on Windows.

Please let me know how it works for you!

Thanks,
Myles

<Ahem_Myles.ttf>

[...]

Gérard Talbot-3
Le 2016-08-09 16:01, Myles C. Maxfield a écrit :
> Alright, I believe this is fixed now. I’ve tested it on Firefox on Mac
> & Windows, Chrome on Mac & Windows, Safari on Mac, and Edge on
> Windows.
>
> Please let me know how it works for you!
>
> Thanks,
> Myles

Myles,

Thank you for working on this request: this is very much appreciated.

Initial test page on the new Ahem font (2016):
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/Ahem2016TestPage.html

I am using Linux 3.13.0-92-generic x86_64, KDE: 4.13.3, Kubuntu 14.04.4
LTS (trusty) with Firefox 48 buildID=20160728204513 and Chrome
52.0.2743.116.

The vertical stripe glyph and horizontal stripe glyph do *not* appear to
be centered.

You wrote:
> The name of the font is still Ahem, so it probably isn’t possible to
> install both
> this font and the old font at the same time.

Indeed, it is not possible to install both this font and the old font at
the same time. So, I wonder if we should not filename-rename this font
to Ahem2016.ttf . That way, we would be sure of the capability of such
font. If we later need another version (say, for testing
text-combine-upright or ruby or some other features), then we could use
another filename by appending the year date.

You wrote:
> For the vertical and horizontal stripes, I purposely placed them
> off-center so
> you could tell if the glyph is rotated 180°.

If vertical stripe glyph and horizontal stripe glyph are not centered,
then I still may not be able to verify if 'text-orientation: mixed'
glyphs are centrally baseline-aligned. Myles, the test at the source of
my request for a more powerful, versatile, writing-mode-oriented version
of the Ahem font is:

http://www.gtalbot.org/BugzillaSection/Bug1289015-glyphs-central-baseline-alignment.html

Load such test in Firefox and Chrome to see and understand the
difference.

Knowing if the glyph has been rotated 180degrees may be useful...
although I can not see where or how or in which manner right now...

Gérard

--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines

Test Review Checklist

CSS Metadata

On 08/09/2016 08:11 PM, Gérard Talbot wrote:
> Le 2016-08-09 16:01, Myles C. Maxfield a écrit :
>> Alright, I believe this is fixed now. I’ve tested it on Firefox on Mac
>> & Windows, Chrome on Mac & Windows, Safari on Mac, and Edge on
>> Windows.
>
> The vertical stripe glyph and horizontal stripe glyph do *not* appear to be centered.

I think it's fine for it to be offset; Myles said he did this
so that it would not be possible to incorrectly rotate it 180deg.

We just need to make sure that the glyph edges fall on 1/5th-em
(or at the very least, 1/10th-em) boundaries.

> You wrote:
>> The name of the font is still Ahem, so it probably isn’t possible to install both
>> this font and the old font at the same time.
>
> Indeed, it is not possible to install both this font and the old
> font at the same time. So, I wonder if we should not filename-rename
> this font to Ahem2016.ttf . That way, we would be sure of the
> capability of such font. If we later need another version (say, for
> testing text-combine-upright or ruby or some other features), then
> we could use another filename by appending the year date.

The intent was just to update Ahem; this would be version 4.
I think it's fine. :)

> You wrote:
>> For the vertical and horizontal stripes, I purposely placed them
>> off-center so you could tell if the glyph is rotated 180°.
>
> If vertical stripe glyph and horizontal stripe glyph are not centered,
> then I still may not be able to verify if 'text-orientation: mixed'
> glyphs are centrally baseline-aligned. Myles, the test at the source
> of my request for a more powerful, versatile, writing-mode-oriented
> version of the Ahem font is:
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BugzillaSection/Bug1289015-glyphs-central-baseline-alignment.html

This can be easily tested by using the square glyphs: if they are not
aligned correctly, they will not line up. :)

~fantasai

On 08/09/2016 04:47 PM, Myles C. Maxfield wrote:
> Here’s the README i’ve included in the project which generates the font:

Thanks!

> Greek capital letter Chi (U+3A7): Thin horizontal stripe and full advance
> "横" (U+6A2A): Thin horizontal stripe and full advance
> Greek capital letter Upsilon (U+3A5): Thin vertical stripe and full advance
> "纵" (U+7EB5): Thin vertical stripe and full advance.

Can you detail the coordinates of these stripes?
It will be useful to know when making references.

Also, if you haven't checked yet, make sure that the font
will render without anti-aliasing at multiples of 5px?
This is a property of the current Ahem font that we need
to keep.

Also, would you mind adding the mappings suggested by Florian? :)

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2016Jul/0019.html

~fantasai

On Aug 10, 2016, at 12:11 PM, fantasai <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 08/09/2016 04:47 PM, Myles C. Maxfield wrote:
Here’s the README i’ve included in the project which generates the font:

Thanks!

Greek capital letter Chi (U+3A7): Thin horizontal stripe and full advance
"横" (U+6A2A): Thin horizontal stripe and full advance
Greek capital letter Upsilon (U+3A5): Thin vertical stripe and full advance
"纵" (U+7EB5): Thin vertical stripe and full advance.

Can you detail the coordinates of these stripes?
It will be useful to know when making references.

let horizontalStripe: Path = [[Point(x: 0, y: 600), Point(x: 1000, y: 600), Point(x: 1000, y: 400), Point(x: 0, y: 400)]]
let verticalStripe: Path = [[Point(x: 200, y: 800), Point(x: 400, y: 800), Point(x: 400, y: -200), Point(x: 200, y: -200)]]

Also, if you haven't checked yet, make sure that the font
will render without anti-aliasing at multiples of 5px?
This is a property of the current Ahem font that we need
to keep.

If you draw the font at 20px, then 1000 FUnits = 20px, so 50 FUnits = 1px. All the coordinates above are on multiples of 50 FUnits.

Also, would you mind adding the mappings suggested by Florian? :)

I would suggest one more mapping for the horizontal one:
- '橫' U+6A6B
and two more for the vertical one:
- '縦' U+7E26
- '縱' U+7E31

Okay.

The grid shown behind the glyphs in the test should be enough to tell the positions of the glyphs.

Re: [css-writing-modes-3] [css-inline-3] Need for new Ahem font version with addition of 1 glyph with Vertical_Orientation property set to U

Myles C. Maxfield

I would suggest one more mapping for the horizontal one:
- '橫' U+6A6B
and two more for the vertical one:
- '縦' U+7E26
- '縱' U+7E31

Attached.

—Myles

Ahem_Myles2.ttf (30K) Download Attachment