Re: XML Base PER--existing applications may break

Re: XML Base PER--existing applications may break

Grosso, Paul

Thank you for your comments at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2008AprJun/
0011
on the XML Base Second Edition PER.

Regarding:

> Consuming applications of the new edition might
> have failures in attributes expecting only URIs
> unless the application language is rev'd to both
> include this new version of base AND upgrade all
> URIs to IRIs at the same time. It seems like there
> should at least be a note to point that out.

The XML Core WG has reviewed this comment and decided not
to make any change to XML Base Second Edition with the
following explanation:

It was never the case that xml:base values were "only
URIs".  The change from the earlier language in XML base
to LEIRIs is not a normative change.  We are merely replacing
the description of allowed xml:base values with a reference
to LEIRIs which (by design) describe the very same thing.

See also
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2008JulSep/
0000
for previous reponses.

We hope to transition XML Base to Recommendation within
the next few weeks.  Please let us know if you accept
our disposition of this comment as soon as feasible.
If we have not heard by September 22, we will assume
you have no objection to our resolution.

Paul Grosso
for the XML Core WG

Re: XML Base PER--existing applications may break

Steven Pemberton-3

Paul,

Thank you for your reply.

This was apparently a misunderstanding on our behalf.

Your reply is entirely satisfactory.

Best wishes,

Steven Pemberton
For the XHTML2 WG