Re: What happened to text input

Rich Caloggero
Ah, just used validator.w3.org with html5 doctype and it used validator.nu automatically:

The uploaded document was successfully checked as HTML5. This means that the resource in question identified itself as "HTML5" and that we successfully
performed a formal validation of it. The parser implementations we used for this check are based on validator.nu (HTML5).

-- Rich

Sent: Friday, October 31, 2014 6:56 PM
Subject: What happened to text input

I use this thing to quickly check demo code to be sure the html is at least generally valid: i.e. element x cannot contain elements of type y.

The validator used to accept input from a textarea, but this is now gone.

Why?

-- Rich

Re: What happened to text input

Jukka K. Korpela
2014-11-01 1:06, Rich Caloggero wrote:

> Ah, just used validator.w3.org with html5 doctype and it used
> validator.nu automatically:

You are misinterpreting the message.

> The uploaded document was successfully checked as HTML5. This means that
> the resource in question identified itself as "HTML5" and that we
> successfully
> performed a formal validation of it. The parser implementations we used
> for this check are based on validator.nu (HTML5).

"Based on" does not mean using validator.nu. Although the two validators
share the same code base, there is no guarantee that the code is exactly
the same. And in any case, each of them runs the validation
independently of the other site.

(The "uploaded" word in the message is wrong, or at least misleading, in
situations where direct input is used. But that's a different issue. So
is the use of the word "formal".)

I wonder how this relates to the question that it was a comment on:

> *Subject:* What happened to text input
> I use this thing to quickly check demo code to be sure the html is at
> least generally valid: i.e. element x cannot contain elements of type y.
> The validator used to accept input from a textarea, but this is now gone.
> Why?

http://validator.w3.org has the "Validate by Direct Input" tab, as it
has had for a long time. Are you saying that it was disabled at some moment?

Yucca