Re: What changed in respec re <a>-<dfn> pairing?

Re: What changed in respec re <a>-<dfn> pairing?

Shane McCarron
Uggh.  There was a change in this area.  It was carefully vetted I thought.  I will go in and look, but anyone have any ideas?

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 10:39 AM, Ivan Herman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Guys,

I did a pull of respec from the github repo and suddenly something that did work does not any more:-( I used the

<a>Blabla</a>
<dfn>Blabla</dfn>

pattern to put links into the document to the definition. Suddenly what worked in my document does not work any more. I also tried the <a title="Blabla">Blabla</a> pattern, but that does not work either.

Any idea what happened?

Thx

Ivan

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Digital Publishing Activity Lead
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: <a href="tel:%2B31-641044153" value="+31641044153">+31-641044153
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0782-2704

Shane McCarron

Re: What changed in respec re <a>-<dfn> pairing?

Tobie Langel-3
Ivan,

Is the doc available online somewhere?

--tobie

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 5:42 PM, Shane McCarron <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

mobile: <a href="tel:%2B31-641044153" value="+31641044153" target="_blank">+31-641044153
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0782-2704

--
Shane McCarron

Re: What changed in respec re <a>-<dfn> pairing?

Ivan Herman-2
http://w3c.github.io/dpub-metadata/

Ivan

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Digital Publishing Activity Lead
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0782-2704

Re 2: What changed in respec re <a>-<dfn> pairing?

Ivan Herman-2
One idea.

Ivan

> On 22 Dec 2014, at 17:47 , Tobie Langel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ivan,
>
> Is the doc available online somewhere?
>
> --tobie
>
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 5:42 PM, Shane McCarron <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Uggh.  There was a change in this area.  It was carefully vetted I thought.  I will go in and look, but anyone have any ideas?
>
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 10:39 AM, Ivan Herman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I did a pull of respec from the github repo and suddenly something that did work does not any more:-( I used the
>
> <a>Blabla</a>
> <dfn>Blabla</dfn>
>
> pattern to put links into the document to the definition. Suddenly what worked in my document does not work any more. I also tried the <a title="Blabla">Blabla</a> pattern, but that does not work either.
>
> Any idea what happened?
>
> Thx
>
> Ivan
>
> ----
> Ivan Herman, W3C
> Digital Publishing Activity Lead
> Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
> mobile: +31-641044153
> ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0782-2704
>

> --
> Shane McCarron
> Managing Director, Applied Testing and Technology, Inc.

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Digital Publishing Activity Lead
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0782-2704

Re: Re 2: What changed in respec re <a>-<dfn> pairing?

Robin Berjon-6
On 22/12/2014 17:51 , Ivan Herman wrote:
> What I had is that all the <dfn> entries were in a file that was
> included into the main document via the <div
> data-include="acronyms.html"></div> trick. May that be the source of
> the problem?

Yes, that could very easily be the cause of the problem. In fact, I'm
pretty sure it was: I just made a change that ought to fix that.

Let me know if it doesn't address the issue.

Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/ - @robinberjon

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 6:05 PM, Robin Berjon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, that could very easily be the cause of the problem. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was: I just made a change that ought to fix that.

I was actually wondering why that changed had been made and thought there was a valid reason to move it back.

Should have asked on the PR.

Mea culpa.

--tobie

Shane McCarron

Re: Re 2: What changed in respec re <a>-<dfn> pairing?

Ivan Herman-2
Thanks guys, it works like charm!

Ivan

On 22/12/2014 18:07 , Tobie Langel wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 6:05 PM, Robin Berjon <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Yes, that could very easily be the cause of the problem. In fact,
>     I'm pretty sure it was: I just made a change that ought to fix that.
>
> I was actually wondering why that changed had been made and thought
> there was a valid reason to move it back.
>
> Should have asked on the PR.
>
> Mea culpa.

I read through the same code and thought that it might make sense to
have dfn processing happen earlier. So that's that.

Inclusion is a brittle, rarely used, and undertested feature. Unless we
get a lot more tests for it it's likely not the last time we break it a
bit...

Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/ - @robinberjon

Re: Re 2: What changed in respec re <a>-<dfn> pairing?

Ivan Herman-2

> On 22 Dec 2014, at 18:29 , Robin Berjon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 22/12/2014 18:07 , Tobie Langel wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 6:05 PM, Robin Berjon <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>    Yes, that could very easily be the cause of the problem. In fact,
>>    I'm pretty sure it was: I just made a change that ought to fix that.
>>
>> I was actually wondering why that changed had been made and thought
>> there was a valid reason to move it back.
>>
>> Should have asked on the PR.
>>
>> Mea culpa.
>
> I read through the same code and thought that it might make sense to have dfn processing happen earlier. So that's that.
>
> Inclusion is a brittle, rarely used, and undertested feature.
And damn useful! Not only it helped, in this case, share a glossary among two files, but it also helped me to edit an ugly table in a separate files; I hate editing huge files. So it is very useful!

Thanks

Ivan

> Unless we get a lot more tests for it it's likely not the last time we break it a bit...
>
> --
> Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/ - @robinberjon

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Digital Publishing Activity Lead
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0782-2704

Re: Re 2: What changed in respec re <a>-<dfn> pairing?

Shane McCarron
Yes - the ARIA specs use it to have a common set of terms, as well as some external tables / sections that get pulled into the final doc.  The RDFa docs use it to pull in external DTD / Schema files.