Re: Translation de: Personal names around the world

Threaded

Re: Translation de: Personal names around the world

Gunnar Bittersmann-2
>> To overcome this bad browser behavior, the suffixes need some markup:
>>
>> followed by <span class="suffix">-sson</span> for a male and <span
>> class="suffix">-sdóttir</span> for a female
>>
>> and a rule in the stylesheet (changed file attached):
>>
>> .suffix { white-space: nowrap; }
>
> Actually, what I did was replace the ordinary hyphen with U+2011
> NON-BREAKING HYPHEN (no markup).

Sounds good – at first.

But less so on second thought.

Your English file will be the source code for all future translations.
Translators might not notice the difference between the two hyphen
characters when they visually look the same. You can’t be sure whether
they would copy '‑sdóttir' (with U+2011 NON-BREAKING HYPHEN) from the
English original or if they would retype '-sdóttir' (with U+002D
HYPHEN-MINUS).

Your solution is good for the English original, but might not solve the
problem in translations.

One option might be to escape the non-breaking hyphen:
'&#x2011;sdóttir'. But I think that '<span
class="suffix">-dottir</span>' is better readable to the translator,
hence markup (and the additional rule in the stylesheet) would be the
better option.

What do you think?

>> The same applies to the pragraph starting with ‘We already saw that the
>> patronymic in Iceland ends in -son or -dóttir’.
>>
>> Hm, no genitive s here? It was -sson and -sdóttir above. Shouldn’t it be
>> the same in both places?
>
> I think either will do.

Maybe. I just found it confusing that it’s different.

Gunnar

Threaded

Re: Translation de: Personal names around the world

r12a
On 14/01/2014 10:45, Gunnar Bittersmann wrote:

> Your English file will be the source code for all future translations.
> Translators might not notice the difference between the two hyphen
> characters when they visually look the same. You can’t be sure whether
> they would copy '‑sdóttir' (with U+2011 NON-BREAKING HYPHEN) from the
> English original or if they would retype '-sdóttir' (with U+002D
> HYPHEN-MINUS).
>
> Your solution is good for the English original, but might not solve the
> problem in translations.
>
> One option might be to escape the non-breaking hyphen:
> '&#x2011;sdóttir'. But I think that '<span
> class="suffix">-dottir</span>' is better readable to the translator,
> hence markup (and the additional rule in the stylesheet) would be the
> better option.
>
> What do you think?

I'd rather not introduce markup to handle what characters can handle,
especially when the text is not going to be translated anyway. Your idea
of using the escape to alert the translator might be helpful. I'll leave
as is for now, but bear that in mind for later.

RI

Threaded

Re: Translation de: Personal names around the world

Gunnar Bittersmann-2
> I'd rather not introduce markup to handle what characters can handle,
> especially when the text is not going to be translated anyway. Your idea
> of using the escape to alert the translator might be helpful. I'll leave
> as is for now, but bear that in mind for later.

The danger in “later” is that it often means “never”. ;-)

I tried '&#x2011;sdóttir' and found that in the used typeface Arial the
non-breaking hyphen is not rendered like a hyphen, but like a dash, i.e.
with larger length.

I think I’ll stick with markup in my translation.

Gunnar