Re: Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) Tiny 1.2 Specification should link to CSS2.1 CR

Re: Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) Tiny 1.2 Specification should link to CSS2.1 CR

Chris Lilley

Hello www-svg,

Mohamed ZERGAOUI wrote:

> Instead of linking to CSS2 REC, you should link to CSS2.1 CR (which
> hopefully by the time will become a REC)

The SVG WG shares your hope that CSS 2.1 will soon become a Rec.
However, given the current degree of spec coverage in the CSS 2.1 test
suite, it is unlikely to do so in less than a year. In addition, parts
of SVG refer to functionality which is in CSS 2 but was removed from
CSS 2.1.

For SVG Tiny 1.2, therefore, we will continue to point to CSS2. We
look forward to being able to normatively reference CSS2.1 in future
specifications.

The SVG WG hopes that this answer responds to your concern. Please let
us know whether it does or not.

--
 Chris Lilley                    mailto:[hidden email]
 Technical Director, Interaction Domain

Re: Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) Tiny 1.2 Specification should link to CSS2.1 CR

Innovimax SARL
Chris,

My concern is more or less that "to be released" CSS 2.1 implementations, would have trouble to keep in sync with SVG Tiny 1.2 implementations since SVG is relying on CSS 2 (which has substantial difference with 2.1).

Probably a good thing is to identify dependency on "CSS 2 only" behavior and to provide a evolution plan to CSS 2.1 and CSS 3 features for future release of SVG specs

Regards,

Mohamed

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 8:21 PM, Chris Lilley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello www-svg,

Mohamed ZERGAOUI wrote:

> Instead of linking to CSS2 REC, you should link to CSS2.1 CR (which
> hopefully by the time will become a REC)

The SVG WG shares your hope that CSS 2.1 will soon become a Rec.
However, given the current degree of spec coverage in the CSS 2.1 test
suite, it is unlikely to do so in less than a year. In addition, parts
of SVG refer to functionality which is in CSS 2 but was removed from
CSS 2.1.

For SVG Tiny 1.2, therefore, we will continue to point to CSS2. We
look forward to being able to normatively reference CSS2.1 in future
specifications.

The SVG WG hopes that this answer responds to your concern. Please let
us know whether it does or not.

--
 Chris Lilley                    mailto:[hidden email]
 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG

--
Innovimax SARL
Consulting, Training & XML Development
9, impasse des Orteaux
75020 Paris
Tel : +33 9 52 475787
Fax : +33 1 4356 1746
http://www.innovimax.fr
RCS Paris 488.018.631
SARL au capital de 10.000 €

Re: Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) Tiny 1.2 Specification should link to CSS2.1 CR

Doug Schepers-3

Hi, Mohamed-

Innovimax SARL wrote (on 11/3/08 3:07 AM):

> My concern is more or less that "to be released" CSS 2.1
> implementations, would have trouble to keep in sync with SVG Tiny 1.2
> implementations since SVG is relying on CSS 2 (which has substantial
> difference with 2.1).
>
> Probably a good thing is to identify dependency on "CSS 2 only" behavior
> and to provide a evolution plan to CSS 2.1 and CSS 3 features for future
> release of SVG specs

Having reviewed the SVG and CSS specs, the SVG WG doesn't believe there
are any significant differences in the parts of CSS 2 and CSS 2.1 that
we depend upon, so a normative reference to CSS 2 should not constrain
any CSS 2.1 implementation.  So, it's not that we have a dependency on
CSS 2 vs. CSS 2.1, but rather that we don't have a strict dependency on
either one.  Since the Process Document does not allow normative
dependencies on specs less advanced along the Rec track, we have no
choice but to reference CSS 2 until CSS 2.1 is more mature.

Going forward, the SVG WG does intend to align with CSS 2.1 and CSS 3
instead, so we don't anticipate any conflicts there as well.

I hope that this satisfies your comment.  Please let us know immediately
in either case, as we intend to make our transition call tomorrow.

Regards-
-Doug

Re: Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) Tiny 1.2 Specification should link to CSS2.1 CR

Innovimax SARL
Hi Doug,

Thanks for this quick reply

I'm fine with the reply on the fact that there is no hard dependency on CSS 2 only features

But it would be better if there is a warning in two ways :
1) that CSS 2 is not maintained any more
2) that CSS 2.1 will replace CSS 2 as soon as it becomes a REC

Regards,

Mohamed

RCS Paris 488.018.631
SARL au capital de 10.000 €

Innovimax SARL wrote (on 11/3/08 1:54 PM):
> Hi Doug,
>
> Thanks for this quick reply
>
> I'm fine with the reply on the fact that there is no hard dependency on
> CSS 2 only features

Great, thanks.

> But it would be better if there is a warning in two ways :
> 1) that CSS 2 is not maintained any more
> 2) that CSS 2.1 will replace CSS 2 as soon as it becomes a REC

I agree, and have added in an informative reference to CSS 2.1, with a
disclaimer along the lines you suggest:
 http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.2T/publish/styling.html#SVGStylingProperties

I hope this satisfies your comment.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs

Re: Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) Tiny 1.2 Specification should link to CSS2.1 CR

mozer

Doug,

Thanks

That's satisfies my concerns