Re: Quality Tip suggestion: don't say "click here", not everyone will be clicking

Threaded

Re: Quality Tip suggestion: don't say "click here", not everyone will be clicking

NAUD Jean Francois
hi,

why is the use of a verb phrase ( "is not a verb phrase") forbidden ?

Regards,

THANX

Ce message et toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres le "message")
sont confidentiels et etablis a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires.
La SOCIETE GENERALE et ses filiales declinent toute responsabilite
au titre de ce message s'il a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie.

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential
and intended solely for the addressees.
Any unauthorized use or dissemination is prohibited.
E-mails are susceptible to alteration.
Neither SOCIETE GENERALE nor any of its subsidiaries or affiliates
shall be liable for the message if altered, changed or falsified.

Threaded

Re: Quality Tip suggestion: don't say "click here", not everyone will be clicking

Karl Dubost

Hi Jean-François,

Le 18 févr. 2008 à 20:20, NAUD Jean Francois a écrit :
> why is the use of a verb phrase ( "is not a verb phrase") forbidden ?

to give a bit more context with regards to your request. You are
talking about
http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/noClickHere

======================
Both of these sentences divulge too much of the mechanics of getting
the Amaya software. If you want to call your reader to action, use
something like:

     Get _Amaya_!

Note that "get" is left out of the hypertext; we do not recommend
putting verb phrases in link text. Thus, rather than:

     _Tell me more_ about Amaya.

You should write:

     Tell me more about _Amaya_: W3C's free editor/browser that lets
you create HTML, SVG, and MathML documents.
======================

I guess the rationale behind that is that the link as given in the
example, doesn't start the download but is the actual homepage of Amaya.

--
Karl Dubost - W3C
http://www.w3.org/QA/

Threaded

Re: Quality Tip suggestion: don't say "click here", not everyone will be clicking

Hal Goodtree
Re: Quality Tip suggestion: don't say "click here", not everyone will be clicking Bonjour Jean-Francois, Karl & everyone -

I’d written last year about the language of linking, specifically about the use of verbs:

http://online-copywriter.com/wordpress/2007/03/20/dont-click-here-avoid-verbs/

In a nutshell, the advice about avoiding verbs seems to be outdated. I’d be happy to update the entry in QA Tips if there is a perceived need.

Cheers!

Hal

--
Hal Goodtree