Re: I-D Action:draft-brown-versioning-link-relations-05.txt

Re: I-D Action:draft-brown-versioning-link-relations-05.txt

Julian Reschke
Hi,

FYI - I have now requested registration and publication as Informational
RFC. If nothing unexpected happens, this could mean that the draft gets
to IETF Last Call in the next few weeks.

Best regards, Julian

[hidden email] wrote:

> Title           : Link Relations for Simple Version Navigation
> Author(s)       : A. Brown, et al.
> Filename        : draft-brown-versioning-link-relations-05.txt
> Pages           : 13
> Date            : 2009-12-07
>
> This specification defines Atom link relations for navigation between
> a resource and its versions.
>
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-brown-versioning-link-relations-05.txt

> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

> Internet-Draft.

Re: I-D Action:draft-brown-versioning-link-relations-05.txt

Jan Algermissen-2
Julian,

when visiting the Dublin Core Web site, I was wondering if the draft
should clarify whether the intended semantics around 'version' refer
to versioning systems only or if they could be used in a broader
context such as multiple versions of a 'work'.

Dublin Core for example defines relationships around the concept of
'versions', e.g. http://purl.org/dc/terms/isVersionOf

IOW, there might be a situation when I have multiple versions of a
resource that are not related to 'putting the resource under version
control' but rather are the result of the evolution of the content.
Such versions might even reside on different servers, managed by
different authorities.

Do you feel the draft's semantics of 'version' covers this use case?
Or not?

Jan

On Dec 7, 2009, at 3:38 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> FYI - I have now requested registration and publication as
> Informational RFC. If nothing unexpected happens, this could mean
> that the draft gets to IETF Last Call in the next few weeks.
>
> Best regards, Julian
>

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> directories.
>> Title           : Link Relations for Simple Version Navigation
>> Author(s)       : A. Brown, et al.
>> Filename        : draft-brown-versioning-link-relations-05.txt
>> Pages           : 13
>> Date            : 2009-12-07
>> This specification defines Atom link relations for navigation between
>> a resource and its versions.
>> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-brown-versioning-link-relations-05.txt
>> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
>> Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>> implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>> Internet-Draft.
>> or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

--------------------------------------
Jan Algermissen

Mail: [hidden email]
Blog: http://algermissen.blogspot.com/
Home: http://www.jalgermissen.com
--------------------------------------

Re: I-D Action:draft-brown-versioning-link-relations-05.txt

Geoffrey M Clemm

Putting something under version control really doesn't mean anything beyond having multiple versions of the resource.
There are of course a variety of other features supported by many versioning servers, but having a version history is the lowest common denominator.

So yes, this draft would apply to the case you describe, as long as multiple separately addressable versions of the resource are provided.

Cheers,
Geoff

http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html

http://www.jalgermissen.com

Geoffrey M Clemm wrote:

> Putting something under version control really doesn't mean anything
> beyond having multiple versions of the resource.
> There are of course a variety of other features supported by many
> versioning servers, but having a version history is the lowest common
> denominator.
>
> So yes, this draft would apply to the case you describe, as long as
> multiple separately addressable versions of the resource are provided.
>
> Cheers,
> Geoff

Agreed.

At least for the link relations that support the navigation between
versions it really doesn't matter whether internally a version control
system was used. (For the working-copy related relations things may be
different because they somehow imply authorability of a resource).

Best regards, Julian