Re: I-D Action:draft-brown-versioning-link-relations-04.txt

Re: I-D Action:draft-brown-versioning-link-relations-04.txt

Julian Reschke
(FYI)

[hidden email] wrote:

> Title           : Link Relations for Simple Version Navigation
> Author(s)       : A. Brown, et al.
> Filename        : draft-brown-versioning-link-relations-04.txt
> Pages           : 14
> Date            : 2009-12-04
>
> This specification defines Atom link relations for navigation between
> a resource and its versions.
>
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-brown-versioning-link-relations-04.txt

> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

> Internet-Draft.

Why working-copy belongs into draft-brown-versioning-link-relations

Jan Algermissen-2
I have been wondering, whether working-copy should be included in the
draft, or if it was too specific to particular versioning systems.
Here is why I think it belongs into the draft:

Regardless of the kind of versioning system, there will allways be a
copy of the versioned resource that serves as the basis for the change
the user makes. Even in the case of updating an unversioned HTTP
resource the user retrieves a representation of the resource, modifies
this local (working-) copy and then updates the resource with the
modified representation.

There is a special case where working copies are maintained by the
server and made available to the user and only in this case the user
does not necessarily know or have a hold of her working copy. The
working copy link relation addresses exactly this special case.

 From this POV the working-copy link relation *completes* the draft
regarding all aspects of working copies when interacting with
authoring systems. Hence - it should be in there (as it currently is).

Jan

On Dec 4, 2009, at 11:03 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> (FYI)
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
>> directories.
>> Title           : Link Relations for Simple Version Navigation
>> Author(s)       : A. Brown, et al.
>> Filename        : draft-brown-versioning-link-relations-04.txt
>> Pages           : 14
>> Date            : 2009-12-04
>> This specification defines Atom link relations for navigation between
>> a resource and its versions.
>> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-brown-versioning-link-relations-04.txt
>> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
>> Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>> implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>> Internet-Draft.
>> or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Jan Algermissen

Mail: [hidden email]
Blog: http://algermissen.blogspot.com/
Home: http://www.jalgermissen.com