Re: CDR: profiles specifying whether specialized DOM APIs are supported

Re: CDR: profiles specifying whether specialized DOM APIs are supported

Chris Lilley

Hello public-cdf,

Maciej Stachowiak <[hidden email]> writes:

> Section 2.1.1
>
> "Compound document profiles must specify whether the specialized DOM
> APIs that are defined within the component languages are supported."
>
> - Surely it is up the individual language spects to determine whether
> their specialized DOM APIs are required or not. It would be
> inappropriate for a compound document profile to say that a DOM API
> is not required when the language spec says it is, for instance. I
> request that this be rewritten so as to clarify that profiles can't
> insist on things contrary to the language specs themselves.

The inference you draw is completely correct. What the language you
quote is trying to say, though, is

"Compound document profiles must specify whether the specialized DOM
APIs that are defined within the component languages are also supported
on other components."

As you note, the intent of CDF should not be (and is not intended) to
remove functionality from a component. Rather, it is to clearly state
whether or not the functionality from one component is available on
other components.

--
 Chris Lilley                    mailto:[hidden email]
 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group

Re: CDR: profiles specifying whether specialized DOM APIs are supported

Maciej Stachowiak

On Jan 11, 2006, at 7:04 AM, Chris Lilley wrote:

> Hello public-cdf,
>
> Maciej Stachowiak <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Section 2.1.1
>>
>> "Compound document profiles must specify whether the specialized DOM
>> APIs that are defined within the component languages are supported."
>>
>> - Surely it is up the individual language spects to determine whether
>> their specialized DOM APIs are required or not. It would be
>> inappropriate for a compound document profile to say that a DOM API
>> is not required when the language spec says it is, for instance. I
>> request that this be rewritten so as to clarify that profiles can't
>> insist on things contrary to the language specs themselves.
>
> The inference you draw is completely correct. What the language you
> quote is trying to say, though, is
>
> "Compound document profiles must specify whether the specialized DOM
> APIs that are defined within the component languages are also
> supported
> on other components."
>
> As you note, the intent of CDF should not be (and is not intended) to
> remove functionality from a component. Rather, it is to clearly state
> whether or not the functionality from one component is available on
> other components.

Hi Chris,

I'm somewhat confused by this interpretation / possible rewording
too. In a CDR situation, I'm not sure what interfaces from one
component would appear on another. If HTML embeds SVG by reference in
an <object>, would the SVG elements implement the HTMLElement
interface? Or vice versa? I'm not getting how this would work. Maybe
you could give a concrete example of what is intended?

Regards,
Maciej