RE: VoiceXML 2.1: charmod conformance

Matt Oshry

Bjoern,

The Voice Browser Working Group (VBWG) is now completing its resolution of issues raised during the review of the Candidate Recommendation version of VoiceXML 2.1 [1]. Our apologies that it has taken so long to respond.

Following the process described in [2] for advancement to Proposed Recommendation, this is the VBWG's formal response to the issue you raised, identified as '111-10':

VoiceXML 2.1 describes a set of orthogonal additions to VoiceXML 2.0. The VBWG agreed to preserve complete backwards compatibility with VoiceXML 2.0 specification when embarking on the specification of VoiceXML 2.1. The VBWG had a lengthy discussion with the I18N group with respect to charmod conformance. The results of that discussion can be found in [3].

Please indicate before 14 November 2005 whether you are satisfied with the VBWG's resolution, whether you think there has been a misunderstanding, or whether you wish to register an objection.

If you do not think you can respond before 14 November, please let me know. The Director will appreciate a response as to whether or not you agree with the resolution. However, if we do not hear from you at all by 14 November 2005, we will assume that you accept our resolutions.

Thank you,

Matt Oshry
Chief Editor, VoiceXML 2.1

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/CR-voicexml21-20050613/
[2] http://www.w3.org/2004/02/Process-20040205/tr.html#cfi
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/voicexml21/voicexml21-disp.html#R107-4

  http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/CR-voicexml21-20050613/ does not conform to http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/REC-charmod-20050215/ the W3C Character Model Recommendation. For example, VoiceXML 2.1 implementations are not re- quired to conform to the character model even though that it required for charmod conformance. I think all new W3C Technical Reports should comply with the Character Model Recommendation, please change VoiceXML
2.1 accordingly.

regards,
--
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[hidden email] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de Weinh. Str. 22 · Telefon: +49(0)621/4309674 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de

Re: VoiceXML 2.1: charmod conformance

Bjoern Hoehrmann

* Matt Oshry wrote:
>VoiceXML 2.1 describes a set of orthogonal additions to VoiceXML 2.0.
>The VBWG agreed to preserve complete backwards compatibility with
>VoiceXML 2.0 specification when embarking on the specification of
>VoiceXML 2.1. The VBWG had a lengthy discussion with the I18N group with
>respect to charmod conformance. The results of that discussion can be
>found in [3].

This discussion is concerned with URI internationalization which is not
part of Charmod Fundamentals. Could you elaborate on why you think
VoiceXML 2.1 should fail comply with the requirements in Charmod
Fundamentals?
--
Bj?rn H?hrmann ? mailto:[hidden email] ? http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Weinh. Str. 22 ? Telefon: +49(0)621/4309674 ? http://www.bjoernsworld.de