Questions about Time Ontology

Wiebke Wagner

Dear Time Ontology Working Group,

I am working at present with your time ontology in owl for the purpose of my studies and I couldn't figure out some questions:

1. Why has the property "inside" the domain of the class "interval" und the range of the class "instant". Shouldn't it be the other way around in the sence that an instant is inside an interval and not an interval is inside an instant?

2. Why has the Property "hasDurationDescription" a domain of "TemporalEntity" and not a domain of "Interval", because the Duration of an "Instant" is alway zero, so why giving it this property via inheritance?

I am working with the version I found here:
http://www.isi.edu/~pan/damltime/time.owl

Yours sincerely
Wiebke Wagner

Re: Questions about Time Ontology

David Wood-3

Hi Wiebke,

The Semantic Web Best Practices and Deployment Working Group is now
closed.  I am not sure that anyone officially monitors this mailing
list anymore.

I suggest that you contact the editors of the Time Ontology Note,
Jerry Hobbs and Feng Pan.  You may find their contact details linked
from http://www.isi.edu/~pan/OWL-Time.html

Good luck!

Regards,
Dave

On 14 Jun2007, at 15:18, Wiebke Wagner wrote:

> Dear Time Ontology Working Group,
>
> I am working at present with your time ontology in owl for the
> purpose of my studies and I couldn't figure out some questions:
>
> 1. Why has the property "inside" the domain of the class "interval"
> und the range of the class "instant". Shouldn't it be the other way
> around in the sence that an instant is inside an interval and not
> an interval is inside an instant?
>
> 2. Why has the Property "hasDurationDescription" a domain of
> "TemporalEntity" and not a domain of "Interval", because the
> Duration of an "Instant" is alway zero, so why giving it this
> property via inheritance?
>
> I am working with the version I found here:
> http://www.isi.edu/~pan/damltime/time.owl
>
> Yours sincerely
> Wiebke Wagner
>

> --
> GMX FreeMail: 1 GB Postfach, 5 E-Mail-Adressen, 10 Free SMS.
> Alle Infos und kostenlose Anmeldung: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/freemail

Re: Questions about Time Ontology

Feng Pan

Dear Wiebke Wagner,

Thank you for your interest in the OWL-Time ontology.

> 1. Why has the property "inside" the domain of the class "interval" und the range of the class "instant". Shouldn't it be the other way around in the sence that an instant is inside an interval and not an interval is inside an instant?

Please see our answer to this question in our previous posts to the
list [1,2].

> 2. Why has the Property "hasDurationDescription" a domain of "TemporalEntity" and not a domain of "Interval", because the Duration of an "Instant" is alway zero, so why giving it this property via inheritance?

Either way is OK, and we decided to go for "TemporalEntity", and zero is
also a valid value for durations.

Thanks!

Feng

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2006Nov/0008.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2006May/0064.html

--
Feng Pan, Ph.D. Candidate
USC Information Sciences Institute (ISI)