Publication workflow future

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Publication workflow future

Philippe Le Hegaret
Folks,

we've been looking at improving our publication workflow and came up
with a proposal that is relatively simple and is implementable in a
short amount of time. I really hope that folks will love the automatic
WD publication option in it.

http://www.w3.org/2014/08/pubworkflow.html

(this document is mainly based on a set of slides I presented to the W3C
Staff in July and revised to take into account some of the feedback
received there).

Feedback is welcome.

Philippe



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Publication workflow future

Marcos Caceres-4


On August 15, 2014 at 5:22:42 PM, Philippe Le Hegaret ([hidden email]) wrote:
> Folks,
>
> http://www.w3.org/2014/08/pubworkflow.html
>  
> Feedback is welcome.

This looks good. It's great to see talk of an API end-point that we can ping to republish the document (i.e., by using a GitHub commit hook). Trusting Editors to not screw things up during CR is also great (with the ability to undo if they do). 





Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Publication workflow future

Tab Atkins Jr.
On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Marcos Caceres <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On August 15, 2014 at 5:22:42 PM, Philippe Le Hegaret ([hidden email]) wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/2014/08/pubworkflow.html
>>
>> Feedback is welcome.
>
> This looks good. It's great to see talk of an API end-point that we can ping to republish the document (i.e., by using a GitHub commit hook). Trusting Editors to not screw things up during CR is also great (with the ability to undo if they do).

Agree.  I am *extremely* happy to see the ability to auto-pub WDs
after the WG approves.

~TJ

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[admin] Re: Publication workflow future

Arthur Barstow-2
In reply to this post by Philippe Le Hegaret
[ + public-webapps ]

On 8/15/14 5:22 PM, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:

> Folks,
>
> we've been looking at improving our publication workflow and came up
> with a proposal that is relatively simple and is implementable in a
> short amount of time. I really hope that folks will love the automatic
> WD publication option in it.
>
> http://www.w3.org/2014/08/pubworkflow.html
>
> (this document is mainly based on a set of slides I presented to the W3C
> Staff in July and revised to take into account some of the feedback
> received there).
>
> Feedback is welcome.

Hi Philippe, All,

What is the status of this proposal?

FYI, WebApps agreed [1] to use this process `the second it is
available`. Are you now looking for a group to try it? If so, WebApps
would be happy to be a "guinea pig". Seems like a "real" test case
before TPAC would be useful. WDYT?

-Thanks, AB

[1]
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2014JulSep/0627.html>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Publication workflow future

Philippe Le Hegaret
In reply to this post by Philippe Le Hegaret
In case folks are wondering since I know several of us are excited and
impatient for this thing to get done.

Thanks to the system folks, as well as Robin and Dominique, latest news
on the new publication workflow pipeline indicates that we're still on
track to deliver a v1 in early January. I'll keep crossing fingers that
nothing gets in the way but so far so good!

As a reminder, v1 is targeted to allow automatic publication of WDs
in /TR. We'll probably be able to sneak nice additions on top of that as
well.

Philippe

On Fri, 2014-08-15 at 17:22 -0400, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:

> Folks,
>
> we've been looking at improving our publication workflow and came up
> with a proposal that is relatively simple and is implementable in a
> short amount of time. I really hope that folks will love the automatic
> WD publication option in it.
>
> http://www.w3.org/2014/08/pubworkflow.html
>
> (this document is mainly based on a set of slides I presented to the W3C
> Staff in July and revised to take into account some of the feedback
> received there).
>
> Feedback is welcome.
>
> Philippe
>



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Publication workflow future

Marcos Caceres-4



On December 3, 2014 at 10:48:09 AM, Philippe Le Hegaret ([hidden email]) wrote:

> > In case folks are wondering since I know several of us are excited  
> and
> impatient for this thing to get done.
>  
> Thanks to the system folks, as well as Robin and Dominique, latest  
> news
> on the new publication workflow pipeline indicates that we're  
> still on
> track to deliver a v1 in early January. I'll keep crossing fingers  
> that
> nothing gets in the way but so far so good!
>  
> As a reminder, v1 is targeted to allow automatic publication  
> of WDs
> in /TR. We'll probably be able to sneak nice additions on top of  
> that as
> well.

Would be awesome if you could put this on github, if you haven't already. Would be great to track what is going on. 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Publication workflow future

Philippe Le Hegaret
On Wed, 2014-12-03 at 11:21 -0800, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> Would be awesome if you could put this on github, if you haven't already. Would be great to track what is going on.

Shane has been doing some work on the linkchecker at
 https://github.com/halindrome/linkchecker

The rule checker is at
 https://github.com/w3c/specberus
 it's deployed at http://www.w3.org/2014/10/pubrules/

The third party resource checker is at
 https://github.com/dontcallmedom/third-party-resources-checker

I'll need to ask about the plan for the central piece itself, ie the
piece that will tie all the services together but it might be too
specific to our quirks.

Philippe



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Publication workflow future

Shane McCarron
W.r.t. the linkchecker, I have the changes largely made to have it return JSON.  That was a request Philippe made.  I have some other things on my list but I am publishing a bunch of documents right now so this is on hold for a few days.

On Wednesday, December 3, 2014, Philippe Le Hegaret <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 2014-12-03 at 11:21 -0800, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> Would be awesome if you could put this on github, if you haven't already. Would be great to track what is going on.

Shane has been doing some work on the linkchecker at
 https://github.com/halindrome/linkchecker

The rule checker is at
 https://github.com/w3c/specberus
 it's deployed at http://www.w3.org/2014/10/pubrules/

The third party resource checker is at
 https://github.com/dontcallmedom/third-party-resources-checker

I'll need to ask about the plan for the central piece itself, ie the
piece that will tie all the services together but it might be too
specific to our quirks.

Philippe





--
Shane McCarron
Managing Director, Applied Testing and Technology, Inc.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Publication workflow future

Marcos Caceres-4
In reply to this post by Philippe Le Hegaret



On December 3, 2014 at 11:40:09 AM, Philippe Le Hegaret ([hidden email]) wrote:

> On Wed, 2014-12-03 at 11:21 -0800, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> > Would be awesome if you could put this on github, if you haven't already. Would be great  
> to track what is going on.
>  
> Shane has been doing some work on the linkchecker at
> https://github.com/halindrome/linkchecker
>  
> The rule checker is at
> https://github.com/w3c/specberus
> it's deployed at http://www.w3.org/2014/10/pubrules/
>  
> The third party resource checker is at
> https://github.com/dontcallmedom/third-party-resources-checker

Awesome! thanks for the links! 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Publication workflow future

Robin Berjon-6
In reply to this post by Philippe Le Hegaret
On 03/12/2014 20:40 , Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:

> On Wed, 2014-12-03 at 11:21 -0800, Marcos Caceres wrote:
>> Would be awesome if you could put this on github, if you haven't already. Would be great to track what is going on.
>
> Shane has been doing some work on the linkchecker at
>   https://github.com/halindrome/linkchecker
>
> The rule checker is at
>   https://github.com/w3c/specberus
>   it's deployed at http://www.w3.org/2014/10/pubrules/
>
> The third party resource checker is at
>   https://github.com/dontcallmedom/third-party-resources-checker
>
> I'll need to ask about the plan for the central piece itself, ie the
> piece that will tie all the services together but it might be too
> specific to our quirks.

There's also the spec-generator:

     https://github.com/w3c/spec-generator

The idea is that you can simply state in your manifest that the spec
source is in a given format, and the generated version is built for you
without you having to worry about it in a commit hook or whatnot.

The prototype only supports ReSpec, but it's generic and adding Bikeshed
would be pretty easy.

Note that this is not a tool that we currently plan to expose at a given
public endpoint, just use it internally from the automated publisher.
But of course if you want to add support for other great formats such as
Markdown, Word, or XMLSpec feel free to go crazy :)

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/ - @robinberjon