Proposed Final Design for W3C Technical Reports style in 2016

123

Proposed Final Design for W3C Technical Reports style in 2016

Coralie Mercier

Dear Editors,
Advisory Committee representative, Chairs,

Back in May [1], we expressed our intention to update the style sheets
used by future W3C Drafts, starting on 1 January 2016. Elika Etemad kindly
agreed [2] to be the Design point person for 2015.

The final proposal from Elika is available:
   http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/design/w3c-restyle/2016/

A sample document is also available:
   http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/design/w3c-restyle/2016/sample

The list of substantive improvements is available:
   http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/design/w3c-restyle/2016/base.css

We welcome your feedback on the proposal by 27 November 2015 at the
latest, in e-mail to <[hidden email]> or using Github [3].

Thank you,

For Tim Berners-Lee, Director,
Philippe Le Hegaret, Interaction Domain Lead,
Elika Etemad, Design point person for 2015;
Coralie Mercier, Head of W3C Marketing & Communications

[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/spec-prod/2015AprJun/0010.html
[2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/spec-prod/2015AprJun/0018.html
[3] https://github.com/w3c/tr-design/issues

--
Coralie Mercier  -  W3C Marketing & Communications -  http://www.w3.org
mailto:[hidden email] +336 4322 0001 http://www.w3.org/People/CMercier/

Re: Proposed Final Design for W3C Technical Reports style in 2016

Tobie Langel-4
These are great improvements. Thanks for making them happen.

--tobie

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015, at 19:14, Coralie Mercier wrote:

> Dear Editors,
> Advisory Committee representative, Chairs,
>
> Back in May [1], we expressed our intention to update the style sheets
> used by future W3C Drafts, starting on 1 January 2016. Elika Etemad
> kindly
> agreed [2] to be the Design point person for 2015.
>
> The final proposal from Elika is available:
>    http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/design/w3c-restyle/2016/
>
> A sample document is also available:
>    http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/design/w3c-restyle/2016/sample
>
> The list of substantive improvements is available:
>    http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/design/w3c-restyle/2016/base.css
>
> We welcome your feedback on the proposal by 27 November 2015 at the
> latest, in e-mail to <[hidden email]> or using Github [3].
>
> Thank you,
>
> For Tim Berners-Lee, Director,
> Philippe Le Hegaret, Interaction Domain Lead,
> Elika Etemad, Design point person for 2015;
> Coralie Mercier, Head of W3C Marketing & Communications
>
> [1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/spec-prod/2015AprJun/0010.html
> [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/spec-prod/2015AprJun/0018.html
> [3] https://github.com/w3c/tr-design/issues
>
> --
> Coralie Mercier  -  W3C Marketing & Communications -  http://www.w3.org
> mailto:[hidden email] +336 4322 0001 http://www.w3.org/People/CMercier/

Re: Proposed Final Design for W3C Technical Reports style in 2016

Shane McCarron
Looks pretty good. A couple of comments:

1) The ToC on the side is sexy.  It would be nice if it were collapsible, and it would be nice if it highlighted which section was being viewed.

2) ReSpec has the ability to have titles on notes and examples.  I assume these changes that into account?

3) Are there changes we can be making to ReSpec now so that it takes advantage of your changes?

4) How can we help?

Shane McCarron

Re: Proposed Final Design for W3C Technical Reports style in 2016

Giuseppe Pascale

+1 and also resizable. On small screens takes a lot of space IMO

Shane McCarron

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015, at 00:58, Shane McCarron wrote:

> +1 - I have code somewhere for a grabbable pane divider if needed.
>
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 8:51 AM, Giuseppe Pascale <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 8:39 AM, Shane McCarron <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Looks pretty good. A couple of comments:
> >>
> >> 1) The ToC on the side is sexy.  It would be nice if it were collapsible,
> >> and it would be nice if it highlighted which section was being viewed.
> >>

> > +1 and also resizable. On small screens takes a lot of space IMO

The stylesheet is responsive. Menu will collapse back to regular place
on smaller screens.

--tobie

yes, but you might want to collapse it regardless of screen size. Or maybe just reduce its overall size without completely collapsing it.

Shane McCarron

Re: Proposed Final Design for W3C Technical Reports style in 2016

Marcos Caceres-5
Would be great to make the design mobile friendly. Also, the images are still blurry on 2x displays:( I though we had solved that already with SVG.

Sent from my iPhone, so top posting yay!

On Oct 29, 2015, at 9:35 PM, Shane McCarron <[hidden email]> wrote:

+1

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 12:19 PM, Giuseppe Pascale <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Tobie Langel <[hidden email]> wrote:

The stylesheet is responsive. Menu will collapse back to regular place
on smaller screens.

yes, but you might want to collapse it regardless of screen size. Or maybe just reduce its overall size without completely collapsing it.

Shane McCarron

Re: Proposed Final Design for W3C Technical Reports style in 2016

fantasai
On 10/30/2015 02:16 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Would be great to make the design mobile friendly.

Please define what you mean by "mobile friendly".
This design is intended to work for screens from
300px to widescreen monitors.

> Also, the images are still blurry on 2x displays:( I though we had solved
> that already with SVG.

Hm, looks like the SVG versions of the images have
different names, so content negotiation is choking
on it. I'll fix that.

~fantasai

On 10/30/2015 08:39 AM, Shane McCarron wrote:
> Looks pretty good. A couple of comments:
>
> 1) The ToC on the side is sexy.  It would be nice if it were collapsible,
> and it would be nice if it highlighted which section was being viewed.

That would be cool, but would also require JavaScript. :) It's just a
style sheet.

> 2) ReSpec has the ability to have titles on notes and examples.  I assume these changes that into account?

I'll have to double-check. Can you point me at an example?

> 3) Are there changes we can be making to ReSpec now so that it takes advantage of your changes?

Yes, but give me until next week to document what they are? :) I'm definitely
looking forward to ReSpec and Bikeshed being updated, it will help everyone
transition.

> 4) How can we help?

File issues, or suggest fixes to open issues! And, of course, integrate the
new styles into ReSpec. ;)

~fantasai

On 10/30/2015 12:19 PM, Giuseppe Pascale wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Tobie Langel <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     The stylesheet is responsive. Menu will collapse back to regular place
>     on smaller screens.
>

> yes, but you might want to collapse it regardless of screen size.
> Or maybe just reduce its overall size without completely collapsing it.

It would just replace itself with margins, as it only pops in once
you've satisfied the 50em max-width on the body.

~fantasai

Re: Proposed Final Design for W3C Technical Reports style in 2016

Ivan Herman-2
On 10/30/2015 02:16 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Would be great to make the design mobile friendly.
Please define what you mean by "mobile friendly". This design is intended to work for screens from 300px to widescreen monitors.

<snip/>

~fantasai

I attach a screen dump I have just done of the sample document on an iPhone 6. I must admit I do not know what the right media query is for that particular phone, I know from experience that it is very frustrating to find the right one… But, I would think, having the text be restricted to half of the screen is not really ideal.

Ivan

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Digital Publishing Lead
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0782-2704

On 10/31/2015 05:08 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:

>> On 10/30/2015 02:16 PM, [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Would be great to make the design mobile friendly.
>> Please define what you mean by "mobile friendly". This design is intended to work for screens from 300px to widescreen
>> monitors.
>>
> <snip/>
>
>> ~fantasai
>
> I attach a screen dump I have just done of the sample document on an iPhone 6. I must admit I do not know what the right media
> query is for that particular phone, I know from experience that it is very frustrating to find the right one… But, I would
> think, having the text be restricted to half of the screen is not really ideal.

*sigh* I have no idea why it's doing that, and will research into
magic incantations that make iPhones stop doing mobile browser
voodoo and follow standard behavior instead. (The design works
fine on mobile-sized narrow windows on desktop browsers.)

~fantasai

Re: Proposed Final Design for W3C Technical Reports style in 2016

Ivan Herman-2

> On 30 Oct 2015, at 18:26, fantasai <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 10/30/2015 08:39 AM, Shane McCarron wrote:
>> Looks pretty good. A couple of comments:
>>
>> 1) The ToC on the side is sexy.  It would be nice if it were collapsible,
>> and it would be nice if it highlighted which section was being viewed.
>
> That would be cool, but would also require JavaScript. :) It's just a
> style sheet.
>
>> 2) ReSpec has the ability to have titles on notes and examples.  I assume these changes that into account?
>
> I'll have to double-check. Can you point me at an example?
>
>> 3) Are there changes we can be making to ReSpec now so that it takes advantage of your changes?
>
> Yes, but give me until next week to document what they are? :) I'm definitely
> looking forward to ReSpec and Bikeshed being updated, it will help everyone
> transition.
I will also try to keep the EPUB generation part up to date; Shane, will you ping me when you think any change affect me?

Thanks

Ivan

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Digital Publishing Lead
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0782-2704

Re: Proposed Final Design for W3C Technical Reports style in 2016

Edward O'Connor-2
Hi fantasai,

You wrote:

>> I attach a screen dump I have just done of the sample document on an
>> iPhone 6. I must admit I do not know what the right media query is
>> for that particular phone, I know from experience that it is very
>> frustrating to find the right one… But, I would think, having the
>> text be restricted to half of the screen is not really ideal.
>
> *sigh* I have no idea why it's doing that[…]

You'll want to add shrink-to-fit=no to your <meta name=viewport>.

https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/ios/releasenotes/General/WhatsNewInSafari/Articles/Safari_9.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40014305-CH9-SW36

On October 30, 2015 at 6:15:54 PM, fantasai ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > Would be great to make the design mobile friendly.
>
> Please define what you mean by "mobile friendly".
> This design is intended to work for screens from
> 300px to widescreen monitors.

iPhone, what else? :) I see Ted's already provided a potential solution. I experienced the same issue that Ivan pointed out.

> > Also, the images are still blurry on 2x displays:( I though we had solved
> > that already with SVG.
>
> Hm, looks like the SVG versions of the images have
> different names, so content negotiation is choking
> on it. I'll fix that.

Thank you!

I'm excited to see these changes happening. Will be great to also see the project move to github so we can more easily update the styles as a community.

On 11/03/2015 09:59 AM, Marcos Caceres wrote:

> I'm excited to see these changes happening. Will be great
> to also see the project move to github so we can more easily
> update the styles as a community.

It's *been* on GitHub since plh announced the project originally.
   https://github.com/w3c/tr-design/

~fantasai

Re: Proposed Final Design for W3C Technical Reports style in 2016

Marcos Caceres-4

On November 3, 2015 at 12:40:19 PM, fantasai ([hidden email]) wrote:
> On 11/03/2015 09:59 AM, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> >
> > I'm excited to see these changes happening. Will be great
> > to also see the project move to github so we can more easily
> > update the styles as a community.
>
> It's *been* on GitHub since plh announced the project originally.
> https://github.com/w3c/tr-design/

Ah, even better! Thanks!!!

Re: Proposed Final Design for W3C Technical Reports style in 2016

Bert Bos
These comments are very good, but to me they also show that we should
not try to hard-code the (G)UI in the document, because as many people
will hate it as like it.

I think the task of the authors, and of W3C as the publisher, is to make
sure the documents are rich and consistent enough that all the different
ways of navigating and interacting are possible. As long as we get the
contents and some basic typography right, the reader can choose for
himself which UA he wants to use and how he wants to configure it.

That, after all, is the great thing about HTML: authors can concentrate
on the contents without having to worry about the look and feel, and
readers can consume that content with a device and software of their
choosing.

Bert
--
  Bert Bos                                ( W 3 C ) http://www.w3.org/