Problem starting IsaViz the first time.

Stewart Wallace
Hello,

I've just downloaded and unzipped/installed IsaViz.  All seemed OK.  I have jdk/jre 1.6 and run other java programs successfully.

However, when running run.bat from the command prompt, the initial splash screen comes up and then gets stuck with the following in the command-line window:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.StringBuffer

cannot be cast to java.lang.String

        at org.w3c.IsaViz.ConfigManager.initLookAndFeel(ConfigManager.java:139)

        at org.w3c.IsaViz.Editor.<init>(Editor.java:304)

        at org.w3c.IsaViz.Editor.main(Editor.java:2815)

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

Thanks,

Stewart Wallace
Project Manager, Dictionary of Sydney
61 2 417 420 155

Re: Problem starting IsaViz the first time.

Emmanuel Pietriga-2

Hello,

The class of keys in Java's UI/L&F manager changed between Java 1.5
and 1.6. I addressed this problem about one year ago [1]. If you are
getting this bug, it means that you are probably using IsaViz 2.1.
You have two options :

- run IsaViz 2.1 with a JVM 1.5 or earlier
- run IsaViz 3.0-alpha1 with any JVM, including 1.6

IsaViz 3.0-alpha1 is available from the Download section at [2].
Provided you only use the features available in v2.1 (i.e. don't play
with the Fresnel features), v3.0-alpha1 should be as stable as 2.1,
and actually compatible with a wider range of versions of GraphViz.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/java/classes/org/w3c/IsaViz/
ConfigManager.java?rev=1.24&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/11/IsaViz/

Emmanuel

--
Emmanuel Pietriga
INRIA Futurs - Projet In Situ    tel : +33 1 69 15 34 66

RE: Problem starting IsaViz the first time.

Stewart Wallace
Re: Problem starting IsaViz the first time.
Emmanuel,

thanks - I'm underway with 3.0 alpha.