Precedence in tts:fontFamily

Pierre-Anthony Lemieux
Hi all,

(Hopefully) quick questions: (i) is the ordering of values in
tts:fontFamily significant and (ii) does familyName take precedence
over genericFamilyName?

For instance, are the following two declarations equivalent?

tts:fontFamily="proportionalSansSerif,Arial"
tts:fontFamily="Arial,proportionalSansSerif"

... and what is the expected outcome of the following?

tts:fontFamily="proportionalSansSerif,proportionalSerif"

Thanks,

-- Pierre

Re: Precedence in tts:fontFamily

Glenn Adams-2

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 10:53 AM, Pierre-Anthony Lemieux <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

(Hopefully) quick questions: (i) is the ordering of values in
tts:fontFamily significant and (ii) does familyName take precedence
over genericFamilyName?

order definitely matters

For instance, are the following two declarations equivalent?

tts:fontFamily="proportionalSansSerif,Arial"
tts:fontFamily="Arial,proportionalSansSerif"

it depends; if proportionalSansSerif maps to Arial (on some implementation) then they would be equivalent (on that implementation)

... and what is the expected outcome of the following?

tts:fontFamily="proportionalSansSerif,proportionalSerif"

if proportionalSansSerif maps to F1 and proportionalSerif maps to F2, and if the character maps (cmap tables) of both F1 and F2 define mappings for the same set of characters, then the above would be equivalent to:

tts:fontFamily="proportionalSansSerif" or
tts:fontFamily="F1"

Thanks,

-- Pierre

Re: Precedence in tts:fontFamily

Pierre-Anthony Lemieux
Hi Glenn,

> order definitely matters

Ok. Makes sense to me. I could not find a clear statement to that
effect in TTML1. Do you see one? If not, perhaps add one in the next
errata and updated TTML2 accordingly?

Best,

-- Pierre

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 10:08 AM, Glenn Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 10:53 AM, Pierre-Anthony Lemieux <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> (Hopefully) quick questions: (i) is the ordering of values in
>> tts:fontFamily significant and (ii) does familyName take precedence
>> over genericFamilyName?
>

> order definitely matters
>

>> For instance, are the following two declarations equivalent?
>>
>> tts:fontFamily="proportionalSansSerif,Arial"
>> tts:fontFamily="Arial,proportionalSansSerif"
>

> it depends; if proportionalSansSerif maps to Arial (on some implementation)
> then they would be equivalent (on that implementation)
>

>> ... and what is the expected outcome of the following?
>>
>> tts:fontFamily="proportionalSansSerif,proportionalSerif"
>

> if proportionalSansSerif maps to F1 and proportionalSerif maps to F2, and if
> the character maps (cmap tables) of both F1 and F2 define mappings for the
> same set of characters, then the above would be equivalent to:
>
> tts:fontFamily="proportionalSansSerif" or
> tts:fontFamily="F1"
>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> -- Pierre

Re: Precedence in tts:fontFamily

Glenn Adams-2
TTML1 defers to XSL-FO which defers to CSS2 the semantics of font mapping. This is done implicitly in [1] via:

The semantics of the style property represented by this attribute are based upon that defined by [XSL 1.1], § 7.9.2.

TTML2 has a placeholder to document this process more explicitly [2]. See the second editorial note: Font Selection.

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Pierre-Anthony Lemieux <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Glenn,

> order definitely matters

Ok. Makes sense to me. I could not find a clear statement to that
effect in TTML1. Do you see one? If not, perhaps add one in the next
errata and updated TTML2 accordingly?

Best,

-- Pierre

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 10:08 AM, Glenn Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 10:53 AM, Pierre-Anthony Lemieux <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> (Hopefully) quick questions: (i) is the ordering of values in
>> tts:fontFamily significant and (ii) does familyName take precedence
>> over genericFamilyName?
>

> order definitely matters
>

>> For instance, are the following two declarations equivalent?
>>
>> tts:fontFamily="proportionalSansSerif,Arial"
>> tts:fontFamily="Arial,proportionalSansSerif"
>

> it depends; if proportionalSansSerif maps to Arial (on some implementation)
> then they would be equivalent (on that implementation)
>

>> ... and what is the expected outcome of the following?
>>
>> tts:fontFamily="proportionalSansSerif,proportionalSerif"
>

> if proportionalSansSerif maps to F1 and proportionalSerif maps to F2, and if
> the character maps (cmap tables) of both F1 and F2 define mappings for the
> same set of characters, then the above would be equivalent to:
>
> tts:fontFamily="proportionalSansSerif" or
> tts:fontFamily="F1"
>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> -- Pierre

Re: Precedence in tts:fontFamily