Phantom characters

Bill Braun
Amaya 11.3.1
XP, SP3, all latest patches applied

In a previous post I described erratic behavior when copy/paste is
followed by using the delete key. This may be related. This is difficult
to describe; if clarification is needed please so say.

I am using the "^" character to try to show where the cursor is located.

I typically experience this in code that I go back to (that is, it was
created, saved, and now the document has been reopened for editing). In
descriptive terms, it seems as if there are hidden characters in the
code that catch the cursor when it is moved left or right along a string
of code, but cannot be removed, selectively, with a destructive
backspace, or with the delete key.

Example code:

Place the cursor at the end of the line: <p class="spage">Blah blah
blah.</p>^

Using the left arrow key, move the cursor.

One press of the left arrow key: <p class="spage">Blah blah blah.</p^>

Next press of the left arrow key: <p class="spage">Blah blah blah.</^p>

Next press of the left arrow key: <p class="spage">Blah blah blah.<^/p>

Next press of the left arrow key: <p class="spage">Blah blah blah.^</p>

Now at this point I would expect the next press of the left arrow key to
position the cursor to the left of the period character. Instead, the
cursor moves imperceptibly and remains to the right of the period. This
is illustrated by leaving the caret where it was and adding a second
caret: <p class="spage">Blah blah blah.^^</p>.

Next press of the left arrow key: <p class="spage">Blah blah blah^.</p>

I am wondering if there is some artifact that finds its way into the
code that is causing this behavior, and may be related to copy and
paste, and may explain why using the delete key after copy and paste
produces the behavior it does (though it is inconsistent).

Hope this is helpful.

Bill Braun

Re: Phantom characters

Laurent Carcone-2
Hello Bill,

It seems to be related to the way Amaya manages the colors in the source
view.  To do this, Amaya adds some infos in the source tree to display
the elements, the attributes and the content with different colors, but
that seems to add some extra 'level' in the tree structure.
There is an option 'Color source code' in the Preferences > Colors panel
that is checked by default, if you uncheck it, this problem disappears.

Regards,
Laurent Carcone

Bill Braun wrote:

> Amaya 11.3.1
> XP, SP3, all latest patches applied
>

> In a previous post I described erratic behavior when copy/paste is
> followed by using the delete key. This may be related. This is
> difficult to describe; if clarification is needed please so say.
>
> I am using the "^" character to try to show where the cursor is located.
>
> I typically experience this in code that I go back to (that is, it was
> created, saved, and now the document has been reopened for editing).
> In descriptive terms, it seems as if there are hidden characters in
> the code that catch the cursor when it is moved left or right along a
> string of code, but cannot be removed, selectively, with a destructive
> backspace, or with the delete key.
>

> Example code:

> Place the cursor at the end of the line: <p class="spage">Blah blah
> blah.</p>^
>
> Using the left arrow key, move the cursor.
>
> One press of the left arrow key: <p class="spage">Blah blah blah.</p^>
>
> Next press of the left arrow key: <p class="spage">Blah blah blah.</^p>
>
> Next press of the left arrow key: <p class="spage">Blah blah blah.<^/p>
>
> Next press of the left arrow key: <p class="spage">Blah blah blah.^</p>
>
> Now at this point I would expect the next press of the left arrow key
> to position the cursor to the left of the period character. Instead,
> the cursor moves imperceptibly and remains to the right of the period.
> This is illustrated by leaving the caret where it was and adding a
> second caret: <p class="spage">Blah blah blah.^^</p>.
>
> Next press of the left arrow key: <p class="spage">Blah blah blah^.</p>
>
> I am wondering if there is some artifact that finds its way into the
> code that is causing this behavior, and may be related to copy and
> paste, and may explain why using the delete key after copy and paste
> produces the behavior it does (though it is inconsistent).
>
> Hope this is helpful.
>
> Bill Braun

Re: Phantom characters

Bill Braun
Thank you, Laurent.

I am not programmer so my technical understanding is limited to
comparison with (what appears to be) like-type software. The one that
comes to mind is Crimson Editor, an open source text editor. It also
color codes tags and I have never experienced the same phenomena as I
described below.

Related, I neglected to clarify that my post below was relative to
opening the source code pane, though that may have been obvious from the
description.

Regards,

Bill