Opening URIs with fragment IDs in a web browser

Threaded

Opening URIs with fragment IDs in a web browser

jlc6 (Bugzilla)
I'm interested in double-clicking on resources that use fragment IDs in
their URIs in order to load the resource in my web browser and have the
browser window "jump" to the ID reference in the document.  I tried
doing this with a URI like `file:///path/to/file.html#frag`, and IsaViz
launched Firefox and loaded `file:///path/to/file.html`, losing the
fragment reference somewhere along the way.  Do you have any thoughts on
this?  Is it a (known) bug?

Take care,

    John L. Clark

Threaded

Re: Opening URIs with fragment IDs in a web browser

Emmanuel Pietriga-2

John L. Clark wrote:

> I'm interested in double-clicking on resources that use fragment IDs in
> their URIs in order to load the resource in my web browser and have the
> browser window "jump" to the ID reference in the document.  I tried
> doing this with a URI like `file:///path/to/file.html#frag`, and IsaViz
> launched Firefox and loaded `file:///path/to/file.html`, losing the
> fragment reference somewhere along the way.  Do you have any thoughts on
> this?  Is it a (known) bug?
>
> Take care,
>
>     John L. Clark

This seems to be a bug. I'll look into it.

thanks,
Emmanuel

--
Emmanuel Pietriga
INRIA Futurs - Projet In Situ    tel : +33 1 69 15 34 66

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 08:23:02AM +0100, Emmanuel Pietriga wrote:
> >I'm interested in double-clicking on resources that use fragment IDs in
> >their URIs in order to load the resource in my web browser and have the
> >browser window "jump" to the ID reference in the document.  I tried
> >doing this with a URI like `file:///path/to/file.html#frag`, and IsaViz
> >launched Firefox and loaded `file:///path/to/file.html`, losing the
> >fragment reference somewhere along the way.  Do you have any thoughts on
> >this?  Is it a (known) bug?

> This seems to be a bug. I'll look into it.

At the time, I was doing some testing on Windows.  After sending this
message, I then tested this behaviour on Linux, and I discovered that it
works correctly (i.e. as one would expect) under Linux.  As a result,
I'm guessing the problem on Windows has something to do with line 30 of
WebBrowser.java and the `url.dll` call.

Emmanuel Pietriga wrote:

> John L. Clark wrote:
>> I'm interested in double-clicking on resources that use fragment IDs in
>> their URIs in order to load the resource in my web browser and have the
>> browser window "jump" to the ID reference in the document.  I tried
>> doing this with a URI like `file:///path/to/file.html#frag`, and IsaViz
>> launched Firefox and loaded `file:///path/to/file.html`, losing the
>> fragment reference somewhere along the way.  Do you have any thoughts on
>> this?  Is it a (known) bug?
>>
>> Take care,
>>
>>     John L. Clark
>
> This seems to be a bug. I'll look into it.
>
> thanks,
> Emmanuel

Can you provide me with an example file? I can't reproduce this on Mac
OS X, either with Firefox or Safari (the full URI is passed to thr browser).

thanks,
Emmanuel

--

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 04:19:06PM +0100, Emmanuel Pietriga wrote:
> Can you provide me with an example file? I can't reproduce this on Mac
> OS X, either with Firefox or Safari (the full URI is passed to thr browser).

I'm sorry I didn't do more extensive testing before I sent the original
message.  It looks like the problem is only on Windows, using the
`rundll` approach.  I sent out another message about this a short time
ago.

Take care,

    John L. Clark