Ontology with standard behavior

Zille Huma

Hi All,
I have been wondering for sometime now that why isnt it a popular trend
to store standard activities of a domain in the ontology and not only
the concepts, e.g., for the tourism domain, ontologies normally contain
concepts like Tourist, Resort, etc. but I have not so far come across an
ontology that also contains the standard activities like searchResort,
bookHotel, etc. Why is it so? What support is provided in the ontology
langauges to model the standard activities of the domain as well??

--
Zille Huma
University of Paderborn

Office: E4.133
Tel.: (+49) (0)5251 60-3355
Fax: (+49) (0)5251 60-3985

E-Mail:   [hidden email]

Re: Ontology with standard behavior

Dan Brickley-2

Zille Huma wrote:

> Hi All,
> I have been wondering for sometime now that why isnt it a popular trend
> to store standard activities of a domain in the ontology and not only
> the concepts, e.g., for the tourism domain, ontologies normally contain
> concepts like Tourist, Resort, etc. but I have not so far come across an
> ontology that also contains the standard activities like searchResort,
> bookHotel, etc. Why is it so? What support is provided in the ontology
> langauges to model the standard activities of the domain as well??

This probably falls under the banner of "Semantic Web Services". There
was a W3C Interest Group on this topic, http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/swsig/
but it's recently closed. You might try the mailing list anyway,
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sws-ig/ or the more general
www-ws list. Hope this helps,

cheers

Dan