Quantcast

Online tracking: A 1-million-site measurement and analysis

Threaded

Online tracking: A 1-million-site measurement and analysis

Melvin Carvalho
Online tracking: A 1-million-site measurement and analysis is the largest and most detailed measurement of online tracking to date. We measure stateful (cookie-based) and stateless (fingerprinting-based) tracking, the effect of browser privacy tools, and "cookie syncing".

This measurement is made possible by our web measurement tool OpenWPM, a mature platform that enables fully automated web crawls using a full-fledged and instrumented browser.

https://webtransparency.cs.princeton.edu/webcensus/index.html

I thought this may be interesting to some folks on the TAG that are interested in tracking and privacy on the web
Threaded

Re: Online tracking: A 1-million-site measurement and analysis

Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Especially see Section 5 which details WebRTC IP discovery,
interesting shifts in canvas fingerprinting, using BatteryStatus API
as fingerprinting bits, and a fascinating use of AudioContext to
fingerprint the device without doing any actual audio output (one
method does an FTT and sets gain to zero (mute) before playing, the
other copies to a OfflineAudioContext buffer).

:/

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Chief Technologist, Center for Democracy & Technology [https://www.cdt.org]

Threaded

Re: Online tracking: A 1-million-site measurement and analysis

Martin Thomson-3
On 26 May 2016 at 09:04, Joseph Lorenzo Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> a fascinating use of AudioContext to
> fingerprint the device without doing any actual audio output (one
> method does an FTT and sets gain to zero (mute) before playing, the
> other copies to a OfflineAudioContext buffer).

The problem here is that it is highly correlated with other
information (like the UA string) since it's based on implementation
variation and not machine-based.  It will be easily defeated by the
planned addition of dithering.