OWL-Time namespace name

Ralph R. Swick

The OWL-Time draft does not explicitly give a namespace URI for
this ontology.   Reference [8] points to a .owl file in Feng's part
of the isi.edu URI space.  That file and the linked RDF/XML examples
use the namespaces

   http://www.isi.edu/~pan/damltime/time.owl#
   http://www.isi.edu/~pan/damltime/timezone-us.owl#

[8] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/OEP/Time-Ontology#ref-8

I don't think the WG really intends those to be the proposed
namespace names and they probably won't fly with W3C
namespace naming policy anyway [2].

[2] http://www.w3.org/2005/07/13-nsuri

I intend to change these to

  http://www.w3.org/2006/09/time#
  http://www.w3.org/2006/09/timezone-us#

I hope this is not controversial.  I don't think the reviewers
noticed this.  I think I may have noticed it last year but I can't
find evidence that I commented.  I don't know how much
running code may exist that depends on those damltime URIs.

Please respond quickly if you think we need to discuss this change.

-Ralph

Re: OWL-Time namespace name

David Wood-3

That sounds fine to me, Ralph.  Thanks for catching this.

Regards,
Dave

On 27 Sep2006, at 21:36, Ralph R. Swick wrote:

> The OWL-Time draft does not explicitly give a namespace URI for
> this ontology.   Reference [8] points to a .owl file in Feng's part
> of the isi.edu URI space.  That file and the linked RDF/XML examples
> use the namespaces
>
>    http://www.isi.edu/~pan/damltime/time.owl#
>    http://www.isi.edu/~pan/damltime/timezone-us.owl#
>
> [8] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/OEP/Time-Ontology#ref-8
>
> I don't think the WG really intends those to be the proposed
> namespace names and they probably won't fly with W3C
> namespace naming policy anyway [2].
>
> [2] http://www.w3.org/2005/07/13-nsuri
>
> I intend to change these to
>
>   http://www.w3.org/2006/09/time#
>   http://www.w3.org/2006/09/timezone-us#
>
> I hope this is not controversial.  I don't think the reviewers
> noticed this.  I think I may have noticed it last year but I can't
> find evidence that I commented.  I don't know how much
> running code may exist that depends on those damltime URIs.
>
> Please respond quickly if you think we need to discuss this change.
>
> -Ralph

Re: OWL-Time namespace name

Ralph R. Swick

At 08:37 AM 9/28/2006 -0400, David Wood wrote:
>That sounds fine to me, Ralph.

OK, glad someone is listening :)

I already ran this past Feng and he's ok with a change.

>  Thanks for catching this.

Actually, DanC caught it.  Thanks for covering us, Dan!

>On 27 Sep2006, at 21:36, Ralph R. Swick wrote:
>>I intend to change these to
>>
>>  http://www.w3.org/2006/09/time#
>>  http://www.w3.org/2006/09/timezone-us#

I now have Director's approval for

  http://www.w3.org/ns/2006/time#
  http://www.w3.org/ns/2006/timezone-us#

(i.e. the new W3C URI space for namespace names), so
absent any objections or requests for further discussion
in the next couple of hours that is what we'll put in the
published WD.

Re: OWL-Time namespace name

Pete Haglich

On Sep 28, 2006, at 9:35 AM, Ralph R. Swick wrote:

> I now have Director's approval for
>
>   http://www.w3.org/ns/2006/time#
>   http://www.w3.org/ns/2006/timezone-us#
>
> (i.e. the new W3C URI space for namespace names), so
> absent any objections or requests for further discussion
> in the next couple of hours that is what we'll put in the
> published WD.

A quick question, as an ontology developer:  Will these namespaces
actually dereference to OWL files?  Tools like Protege work better if
one can reach out and touch an OWL file.

--
Pete Haglich
Lockheed Martin Applied Technology Laboratories, ISX Laboratory

Re: OWL-Time namespace name

Ralph R. Swick

At 05:01 PM 9/28/2006 -0400, Pete Haglich wrote:
>A quick question, as an ontology developer:  Will these namespaces
>actually dereference to OWL files?

yes, and the final namespaces (sorry for all the intermediate versions)
became:

http://www.w3.org/2006/time#
http://www.w3.org/2006/time-entry#
http://www.w3.org/2006/timezone#
http://www.w3.org/2006/time-us#
http://www.w3.org/2006/time-world#

These really should be explicit in some future version of the WD.

>  Tools like Protege work better if
>one can reach out and touch an OWL file.

of course :)

And the documents at these namespace names are all served as
(and unfortunately most deployed browsers still don't do anything
clever out-of-the-box with that content type.)

The new Semantic Web Deployment Working Group has an
opportunity to cite these namespaces in its work on Vocabulary
Management.