[OWL-Guide] error in use of "varietals" Sec 3.1.3.

Threaded

[OWL-Guide] error in use of "varietals" Sec 3.1.3.

rex.dwyer
[OWL-Guide] error in use of "varietals" Sec 3.1.3.

In my opinion, the use of the phrase "grape varietals" is erroneous.  The correct term in botanical taxonomy is "variety" (or "cultivar").  "Varietal" is an adjective applicable only to wines; thus, "varietals" in the plural is an elliptic reference to "varietal wines".  Cabernet Sauvignon (wine) is a "varietal wine" - made from grapes grown on Cabernet Sauvignon grapevines, not ablend.  Chianti is a non-varietal wine made from a flexible blend of grape varieties in a particular region of Italy.

I hate to be pedantic, but there's a certain irony in seeing taxonomic terms abused when the whole focus is about the precise construction of a taxonomy.

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the designated recipient, please notify the sender immediately, and delete the original and any copies. Any use of the message by you is prohibited.