New W3C Note: "Arabic mathematical notation"

New W3C Note: "Arabic mathematical notation"

Bert Bos

The Math IG just published a Note:

Title:    Arabic mathematical notation

Editors:  Azzeddine Lazrek, Mustapha Eddahibi, Khalid Sami, Bruce R.
          Miller

Abstract: This Note analyzes potential problems with the use of MathML
          for the presentation of mathematics in the notations
          customarily used with Arabic, and related languages. The goal
          is to clarify avoidable implementation details that hinder
          such presentation, as well as to uncover genuine limitations
          in the specification. These limitations in the MathML
          specification may require extensions in future versions of the
          specification.

Comments are welcome, of course. Please send them to this list.

Bert
--
  Bert Bos                                ( W 3 C ) http://www.w3.org/
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos                               W3C/ERCIM
  +33 (0)4 92 38 76 92            06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France

RE: New W3C Note: "Arabic mathematical notation"

r12a

Strange.  When I view the draft under /Math/Group/ I can see a pretty good
rendition of the equations in Firefox where it says "MathML by your
browser".

When viewing http://www.w3.org/TR/arabic-math/ all I see is the markup.

Anyone know a reason for that?

RI

============
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

http://www.w3.org/People/Ishida/
http://www.w3.org/International/
http://people.w3.org/rishida/blog/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ishida/

Ah, of course, a key difference is:

Draft
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0 plus SVG 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/2002/04/xhtml-math-svg/xhtml-math-svg-flat.dtd" [
<!ENTITY % MATHML.prefixed "INCLUDE" >
]>

Published version:

I followed the link to the non-normative alternative and the markup
transformed into equations.

RI
============
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

http://www.w3.org/People/Ishida/
http://www.w3.org/International/
http://people.w3.org/rishida/blog/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ishida/

David Carlisle

> Anyone know a reason for that?

I see that you found the technical reason. The political reason is to do
with allowed formats for W3C TR pubications. The MathML rec is similar
in that the normative version is HTML and it has links to the XHTML+MathML
version.

David

http://www.star.net.uk