Namespace Prefixes

David M Sledge

Do namespace prefixes matter in xqueries or just the associated
namespace URIs?  Provided that the document biblio.rdf is exactly the
same for each of the following queries, should each query give me the
exact same result?

QUERY 1
_______
xquery version "1.0";
declare namespace rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#";

for $root in doc('biblio.rdf')/rdf:root
return $root

QUERY 2
_______
xquery version "1.0";
declare namespace blah="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#";

for $root in doc('biblio.rdf')/blah:root
return $root

QUERY 3
_______
xquery version "1.0";
declare default element namespace
"http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#";

for $root in doc('biblio.rdf')/root
return $root

Thanks,

David

RE: Namespace Prefixes

Michael Kay-3

These queries are equivalent. The prefix is just a shorthand for the URI.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/