More about Makebook feature in Amaya

Alma Hunt
Folks,

I have created 5-6 web pages (as different chapters) in Amaya. Would like to know how to make use of the Makebook feature so as to have all chapters compiled in a single book/project.

Simply clicked on the Makebook option, but in vain!!

Please help.

Re: More about Makebook feature in Amaya

Helder Magalhães
Hi Alma,

> I have created 5-6 web pages (as different chapters) in Amaya. Would like to
> know how to make use of the Makebook feature so as to have all chapters
> compiled in a single book/project.
>
> Simply clicked on the Makebook option, but in vain!!

I'm guessing you are following the instructions [1] in the manual...? ;-)

If already doing it and it's (possibly) not working for a reason,
please enter more detail (Amaya version, operating system, document
snippets you are using to assemble the document).

> Please help.

Hope this helps,
 Helder

[1] http://www.w3.org/Amaya/User/doc/MakeBook.html#Assembling

Re: More about Makebook feature in Amaya

Dominique Meeùs-4
Helder Magalhães a écrit ce qui suit, le 23/02/10 08:48 :
Hi Alma,

I have created 5-6 web pages (as different chapters) in Amaya. Would like to
know how to make use of the Makebook feature so as to have all chapters
compiled in a single book/project.
Simply clicked on the Makebook option, but in vain!!

I'm guessing you are following the instructions [1] in the manual...? ;-)
If already doing it and it's (possibly) not working for a reason,
please enter more detail (Amaya version, operating system, document
snippets you are using to assemble the document).

Please help.

Hope this helps,
 Helder
[1] http://www.w3.org/Amaya/User/doc/MakeBook.html#Assembling

In this line of thought what about the other way round: splitting the divisions of a document in different pages? How far is editing TEI and DocBook xml (and publishing in html) in the roadmap of Amaya?

Amicalement, Dominique.
[hidden email], http://www.d-meeus.be/

Re: More about Makebook feature in Amaya

Bill Braun
Helder Magalhães wrote:
> I'm guessing you are following the instructions [1] in the manual...? ;-)
>
> If already doing it and it's (possibly) not working for a reason,
> please enter more detail (Amaya version, operating system, document
> snippets you are using to assemble the document).

I take great umbrage at anyone who implies that reading the instructions
is somehow my responsibility <g>.

I too have tried to use the Makebook feature with the same results. If
there is a sequence of steps, why not program them into the Makebook
menu item and guide the user through a set of dialogue boxes, the end of
which is the book, already made.

Bill B

Re: More about Makebook feature in Amaya

Helder Magalhães
Hi Bill,

(me)
>> I'm guessing you are following the instructions [1] in the manual...? ;-)
(Bill)
> I take great umbrage at anyone who implies that reading the instructions is
> somehow my responsibility <g>.

While as a user I understand you but, maybe not quite as a developer:
the fact is that approximately 80% [1] of reported bugs are "solved"
by reading the user manual. Naturally, I guess we all agree that
applications should be intuitive enough (to dismiss documentation in
most common use-cases) and that documentation should be as
clear/simple as possible. ;-)

> I too have tried to use the Makebook feature with the same results. If there
> is a sequence of steps, why not program them into the Makebook menu item and
> guide the user through a set of dialogue boxes, the end of which is the
> book, already made.

Some of the steps don't appear to be prone to automation (easily, at
least, and IMO). I'd defy one to rework this lack of
documentation/automation into a feature request or a (precise)
proposal to improve the current behavior! :-)

Finally, I'd also invite the Amaya team to comment a bit on this (even
if no feature request/improvement proposal arises). ;-)

Cheers,
 Helder

[1] Warning: completely unscientific measures, based in own experience
only. Didn't attempt to crawl for trustful statistical data. :-p

Re: More about Makebook feature in Amaya

Bill Braun
Helder Magalhães wrote:
Hi Bill,

[...]

I readily confess I did not read the documentation in question. I will do so now, and respond to your good points.

Bill B

Helder Magalhães wrote:

> While as a user I understand you but, maybe not quite as a developer:
> the fact is that approximately 80% [1] of reported bugs are "solved"
> by reading the user manual. Naturally, I guess we all agree that
> applications should be intuitive enough (to dismiss documentation in
> most common use-cases) and that documentation should be as
> clear/simple as possible.  ;-)
> Some of the steps don't appear to be prone to automation (easily, at
> least, and IMO). I'd defy one to rework this lack of
> documentation/automation into a feature request or a (precise)
> proposal to improve the current behavior! :-)
>

> Finally, I'd also invite the Amaya team to comment a bit on this (even
> if no feature request/improvement proposal arises). ;-)

I clearly missed the mark, and it could be argued, the entire boat.

Having now read the documentation my thoughts are (and I offer these
generously, not as a criticism):

1. There is no entry in the Help outline for Makebook. I had to intuit
that "Assembling large document collections" was the help for Makebook.
2. Having found it I could not understand it. (Part of that may be
explained by noting that I never work in the main view that renders the
page, only in the HTML source. So, with the window split, "Tools" is
grayed out, thus access to "Makebook" is blocked.)
3. When I switched to main view and clicked on Tools > Makebook, nothing
happens. I now appreciate that I failed to add the markup required for
Makebook to work; however, it seems to me that there ought to be at
least a dialogue box that alerts the user to the failure, and what to do
about it, or a link to the help file.
4. Some examples in the help documentation would be very helpful. Since
I never use the tools and features available in the main view, I have no
idea how to use the Attributes tool. Can Help also include help for
people who code directly?
5. Language such as "To refer to a document subset, you usually define a
div element..." is confusing. If there are other ways of doing so, what
are they?

Regards,

Bill B