Minutes, 26 May 2016 SVG WG Telcon

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Minutes, 26 May 2016 SVG WG Telcon

Amelia Bellamy-Royds
HTML formatted minutes here: https://www.w3.org/2016/05/26-svg-minutes.html

Plain text copied below for the archive

__________________________________

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                    SVG Working Group Teleconference

26 May 2016

   [2]Agenda

      [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-svg-wg/2016AprJun/0142.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2016/05/26-svg-irc

Attendees

   Present
          nikos, AmeliaBR, Tav, shepazu

   Regrets
   Chair
          nikos

   Scribe
          AmeliaBR

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Closepath & missing coordinates
         2. [6]Issues blocking CR
     * [7]Summary of Action Items
     * [8]Summary of Resolutions
     __________________________________________________________

   <scribe> scribe: AmeliaBR

Closepath & missing coordinates

   Nikos: When I was updating the path grammar to allow Z to fill
   in missing points, I realized there was a problem when the
   previous segment was an H or V: might not be able to connect
   up.
   ... Amelia proposed that it could draw a horizontal or vertical
   line followed by a separate close path, but I think that is
   overly complicated.
   ... The purpose of this feature is to allow curves to connect
   up to end point without an extra (0-length) closepath segment.
   ... So I think we've got agreement, I'm just going to make it
   invalid to have missing coordinates on H or Z.
   ... I should be able to finish it today & push to GitHub.

Issues blocking CR

   <nikos>
   [9]https://rawgit.com/nikosandronikos/svg2-cr-issues/master/svg
   2-cr-issues.html

      [9] https://rawgit.com/nikosandronikos/svg2-cr-issues/master/svg2-cr-issues.html

   <nikos> [10]https://github.com/w3c/svgwg/issues/44

     [10] https://github.com/w3c/svgwg/issues/44

   Nikos: There are a lot of issues flagged "needs editing". But
   there are a few others which may need decisions.
   ... Issue 44 relates to conditional processing and audio/video
   playback. I think this is mostly editorial, not sure if there's
   a debate.

   AmeliaBR: Since no one else has chimed in, I think we can go
   ahead with the interpretation I proposed (conditional
   processing stops all playback)

   Nikos: Is it worth testing current implementations?

   Amelia: There are no current implementations of audio/video in
   SVG.

   Doug: So should we remove it altogether? Or at least, not make
   it a priority?

   Amelia: We could mark audio/video at risk. But still need to
   spec it clearly enough that it could actually be implemented.
   ... If we're not going to spec it properly, then the
   alternative is to remove the feature altogether, which is just
   as much work.

   Doug: It's a matter of time and priorities. We need commitments
   from browser vendors (at least 2) that they are interested in
   implementing these features in the next year.

   Nikos: I think this is a fairly straightforward implementation
   process, and there was interest in it.

   <nikos> [11]https://github.com/w3c/svgwg/issues/99

     [11] https://github.com/w3c/svgwg/issues/99

   Nikos: I've marked Issue 44 as needs editing. Next is issue 99.
   ... defining <use> elements with shadow DOM, assigned to Amelia

   Amelia: This is still one my priority item, but I've been
   working on the accessibility specs instead.
   ... From what I looked at, it should be mostly straightforward,
   but there are a number of areas where things have not been well
   defined (in SVG 1.1) or not implemented as defined, so one way
   or another there will be breaking normative changes.
   ... Specific complications include whether shadow DOM elements
   should be accessible and have event targeting, be able to
   receive focus.
   ... Also there are href & patterns/gradients. I would like to
   define those with the same model.

   Nikos: For the accessibility parts, will that need to be
   defined in SVG 2? What's the timeline for that?

   Amelia: Most of the accessibility details will be in SVG-AAM,
   but we'll need to define focus handling in SVG: can shadow
   elements within a <use> receive focus? That's new for SVG 2,
   since there was no focus handling in SVG 1.1
   ... On timelines, ARIA 1.1 should go to CR around same time as
   SVG 2. Then the supplemental specs should be tidied up in
   following months. Right now, the accessibility details are
   waiting for SVG to be finalized.

   <nikos> [12]https://github.com/w3c/svgwg/issues/101

     [12] https://github.com/w3c/svgwg/issues/101

   Nikos: Issue 101 relates to foreign-namespaced content in
   <title> and <desc>.

   Amelia: Right now, as the accessibility mappings are defined,
   any markup inside title/desc has no effect, only plain text is
   used, so namespaces don't have any effect

   Nikos: Can we leave it undefined, then?

   Amelia: We can leave it as allowed, but has no effect.

   <nikos> [13]https://github.com/w3c/svgwg/issues/102

     [13] https://github.com/w3c/svgwg/issues/102

   Nikos: This is related to title/desc

   Amelia: That one's assigned to me & I have related actions from
   the Accessibility task force.
   ... Last I looked at it, realized it's going to need a lot of
   re-writing.

   <nikos> [14]https://github.com/w3c/svgwg/issues/139

     [14] https://github.com/w3c/svgwg/issues/139

   Nikos: Issues with respect to Switch

   Amelia: This is a master issue linking a number of others. Some
   are editorial clean-up, but others need decisions. Things that
   were never well defined in SVG 1.1: Do we want to define them
   now to do something useful, or is that too much complication at
   this point?

   Nikos: OK, I'll try to review more closely for next week, see
   if I have any ideas.

   <nikos> [15]https://github.com/w3c/svgwg/issues/118

     [15] https://github.com/w3c/svgwg/issues/118

   Amelia: It would be great to have 1 meeting for all the
   switch-related issues, since they're interconnected.

   Nikos: Issue 118 was with scoped attribute on style elements.
   But it looks like that's been removed from HTML for now, so
   nothing for us to do to synchronize.
   ... There are remaining issues on Text, maybe Tav knows the
   status.

   Tav: A number of those are waiting on CSS. A few things
   Fantasai had said she'd had changes ready, but I'm not sure
   that they've been published.

   Nikos: Can you email www-svg with a list of the specific
   changes we're waiting on. Might speed things along.

   Tav: I'm not sure whether we had a decision on Issue 103, re
   filters and <tspan>

   [16]https://github.com/w3c/svgwg/issues/103

     [16] https://github.com/w3c/svgwg/issues/103

   Amelia: The issues there go beyond filters. It comes down to
   whether <tspan> and <textPath> are now treated as independent
   graphics elements, and how does that interact with anything
   that relies on the object bounding box.
   ... we decided that they can be transformed, but that's
   actually different from inline spans in CSS styled HTML.

   Tav: I'm happy reverting the ability to transform
   tspan/textPath if that makes it more consistent. It was added
   in based on the transform attribute being valid for an <a>
   element in SVG. Is it valid on a link in HTML?

   Amelia: In HTML, doesn't matter the element type. It matters
   the CSS display type. A normal inline link can't be
   transformed, need to turn it into a block.
   ... This still leaves the question of filters. Because that
   would have been allowed under SVG 1.1, not sure whether it
   actually worked in implementations. Don't want to disallow
   something the previously worked.

   Nikos: In that issue (103), there are links to bug reports in
   Firefox and Chrome. Both had problems, but different.

   <nikos> ACTION: Nikos to look at issue #103 [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2016/05/26-svg-minutes.html#action01]

     [17] http://www.w3.org/2016/05/26-svg-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-3843 - Look at issue #103 [on Nikos
   Andronikos - due 2016-06-02].

   Amelia: So, 2 issues in there: Can the filter spec be redefined
   to allow textPath/tspan to still have filters even though they
   are otherwise like inline elements? And, how do we define the
   correct bounding box on a tspan/textPath, not only for filters
   but also paint servers?

   <nikos> [18]https://github.com/w3c/svgwg/issues/88

     [18] https://github.com/w3c/svgwg/issues/88

   Nikos: Issue 88 relates to images & whether we can synchronize
   with HTML's resource fetching algorithm. I don't think this is
   critical. I'll leave it assigned to Bogdan if he has a chance
   to follow up with us.

   <nikos> [19]https://github.com/w3c/svgwg/issues/135

     [19] https://github.com/w3c/svgwg/issues/135

   Nikos: Issue 135 is marked as needs WG input, relates to
   gradient transform

   Amelia: I don't think there's any debate about what this should
   be, it's just a question of whether the normative text clearly
   describes it.

   Nikos: I think that's all we have for needing discussion right
   now. Everyone needs to continue with their assigned actions.

   Amelia: An FYI, I'll be focusing on the two issues we discussed
   today (use elements and title/desc). I also have an action for
   editorial clean-up of the rendering chapter; that probably
   won't happen before Amsterdam, but I don't think there would be
   any normative changes, anyway.

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Nikos to look at issue #103 [recorded in
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2016/05/26-svg-minutes.html#action01]

     [20] http://www.w3.org/2016/05/26-svg-minutes.html#action01

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [21]scribe.perl version
    1.144 ([22]CVS log)
    $Date: 2016/05/26 21:30:17 $
     __________________________________________________________

     [21] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [22] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

   [Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.144  of Date: 2015/11/17 08:39:34
Check for newer version at [23]<a href="http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/
scribe/">http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/
scribe/

     [23] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found Scribe: AmeliaBR
Inferring ScribeNick: AmeliaBR
Present: nikos AmeliaBR Tav shepazu
Agenda: [24]<a href="https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-svg-wg/2016AprJun/0
142.html">https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-svg-wg/2016AprJun/0
142.html
Found Date: 26 May 2016
Guessing minutes URL: [25]http://www.w3.org/2016/05/26-svg-minutes.html
People with action items: nikos

     [24] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-svg-wg/2016AprJun/0142.html
     [25] http://www.w3.org/2016/05/26-svg-minutes.html


   [End of [26]scribe.perl diagnostic output]

     [26] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm