MathML Markup for Synthetic Division and cis function

MathML Markup for Synthetic Division and cis function

PRODUCTION
Hi

Please let us know if MathML has any provision to capture the
functions shown in the attached document. For each template, the
rendered version is shown followed by the description of the
underlying semantic meaning.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jeyakumar

mathtemplate.doc (32K) Download Attachment

Re: MathML Markup for Synthetic Division and cis function

David Carlisle

Your attachment appeared to be in some binary format for a program
that I don't have, I found some program that could read it, but I'm not
sure if it appeared quite as you intended (especially the
second one,which had some strange grey areas)

I think the mathml below gets close to the first table that you showed,
although the corner of the two rules isn't quite right. I think possibly
the second form is a combination of using just the normal symbol /
together with underlining (for which you would use the munder element.
But as I say, I'm not sure if I really saw what you intended in this
case.

David

<math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
<mtable columnalign="right" columnlines="solid none" rowlines="none
solid none">
  <mtr>
  </mtr>
  <mtr>
    <mtd/>
  </mtr>
  <mtr>
    <mtd/>
    <mtd/>
    <mtd/>
    <mtd/>
  </mtr>
  <mtr>
  </mtr>
</mtable>
</math>

http://www.star.net.uk

Re: MathML Markup for Synthetic Division and cis function

PRODUCTION
Hi David

Thanks for your input. Please find the coding for the equation. We suggest a functionality be added to render the cis-function and synthetic function in MathML. Please let us know if there any possiblility to draw a line on any side of a Math Table without using attribute frame="solid". Let me know your thoughts on this.

Do you have any updates for us on the second template sent earlier?

Thanks
Jeyakumar

sample.mml (1K) Download Attachment
mathtemplate.doc (32K) Download Attachment

Re: MathML Markup for Synthetic Division and cis function

David Carlisle

> Please let us know if there any
> possiblility to draw a line on any side of a Math Table without using
> attribute frame="solid".

I'm not sure what you mean, if you just one a line on one side, perhaps
the simplest is to suppround the table with <menclose notation="right">...

Or alternatively use columnlines to specify a rule and then have an
extra "empty" column after the rule. (Perhaps mtable frame ought to be
extended to allow direct specification of partial frames, although I
think that that would be equivalent to using menclose, if slightly less
verbose)

David

http://www.star.net.uk

Re: MathML Markup for Synthetic Division and cis function

PRODUCTION
At 06:15 PM 11/14/05, David Carlisle wrote:

Thanks for your comments. Please see our reply below.

> Please let us know if there any
> possiblility to draw a line on any side of a Math Table without using
> attribute frame="solid".

I'm not sure what you mean, if you just one a line on one side, perhaps
the simplest is to suppround the table with <menclose notation="right">...
We meant only to draw a line on the left and the bottom sides of the table. Please let me know if anything is unclear

Or alternatively use columnlines to specify a rule and then have an
extra "empty" column after the rule.

This option leads to small length of line crossing each other. Hence this method is not much helpful in proceeding further.

(Perhaps mtable frame ought to be
extended to allow direct specification of partial frames, although I
think that that would be equivalent to using menclose, if slightly less
verbose)
We checked extended specification. Could you please send us the details on specifications for partial frames.

Regards
Jeyakumar

David

http://www.star.net.uk

Re: MathML Markup for Synthetic Division and cis function

David Carlisle

> We meant only to draw a line on the left and the bottom sides of the
> table. Please let me know if anything is unclear

That would take two menclosed elements, one for each side.
the problem with using menclosed (or frame) rather than
rowlines/columnlines is that you potentially lose the alignment between
the rows that are within the lines and the final row that is below the
line. Although I suppose you could regain alignment using malign.

> This option leads to small length of line crossing each other. Hence
> this method is not much helpful in proceeding further.

Yes, I'm not sure that it _has_ to produce that effect, it depends how
much space a renderer allocates to empty rows or columns, I think.
I agree it's not ideal though.

> We checked extended specification. Could you please send us the
> details on specifications for partial frames.

there is no existing specification. I was just commenting that such an
extension might be something to consider in any possible future MathML3.

In general extra markup for long division and other similar layout forms
is something that has previously been suggested as a possible extension
that should be added in mathml3, but I don't think that any requirement
has been fully specified yet and certainly I haven't seen any
suggestions for markup.

David

http://www.star.net.uk