Marginal Notes

Lauranne BERTRAND
Dear all,

I am currently working on transforming a text in XML-TEI to FO. This is a text of the fifteenth century and it contains marginal notes. I have no idea how to manage these notes in my stylesheet.
I use oXygen for my transformation, if a such information is useful.

Does anyone know how to solve the problem?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

--
Lauranne Bertrand
IE Informatique pour les Bibliothèques Virtuelles Humanistes
37013 Tours Cedex France

Re: Marginal Notes

Tony Graham-3
On Mon, March 14, 2011 3:39 pm, Lauranne BERTRAND wrote:
> I am currently working on transforming a text in XML-TEI to FO. This is a
> text of the fifteenth century and it contains marginal notes. I have no
> idea
> how to manage these notes in my stylesheet.
> I use oXygen for my transformation, if a such information is useful.
>
> Does anyone know how to solve the problem?

You could look at side floats [1], but if you are using oXygen out of the
box, you are probably using FOP, which does not support fo:float [2].

FOP is listed as having partial support for fo:block-container, so you may
be able to do something with positioning block containers, otherwise you
may have to treat your whole document as a table or convert your marginal
notes into footnotes.

Regards,

Tony Graham                         [hidden email]
Director                                  W3C XSL FO SG Invited Expert
Menteith Consulting Ltd                               XML Guild member
XML, XSL and XSLT consulting, programming and training
Registered in Ireland - No. 428599   http://www.menteithconsulting.com
xmlroff XSL Formatter                               http://xmlroff.org
xslide Emacs mode                  http://www.menteith.com/wiki/xslide
Unicode: A Primer                               urn:isbn:0-7645-4625-2

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#d0e14346
[2] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/compliance.html#fo-object-float