MWABP: Inform user about automatic use of network and provide control

MWABP: Inform user about automatic use of network and provide control

Francois Daoust
Hi,

We've talked about best practices 5 and 6 last week:
- Inform the User About Automatic Network Access:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/mwabp/#bp-inform-automation
- Provide Sufficient Means to Control Automatic Network Access
  http://www.w3.org/TR/mwabp/#bp-inform-network

We don't have any implementation report. Eduardo suggested we tried to remember what had motivated these best practices initially. I had a look but could not find much (on top of "we think it's useful", that is):

- they have always been there one way or another, starting with the very first draft:
http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/Drafts/BestPractices-2.0/ED-mobile-bp2-20080206/#iddiv2126636936

- they have been discussed within the group on different occasions, because they were felt to be too vague and/or because they seemed to recommend something that would best be at the browser's UI implementation level. See for instance ISSUE-277 raised by Adam:
  http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/track/issues/277
... and comments from Robin Berjon on the last call:
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-bpwg-comments/2009OctDec/0064.html
The text was word-smithed as a consequence.

- the questions raised during the discussion were more "how to formulate what we mean?" than "are these BPs useful?".

As a reminder, we resolved last week to remove these best practices — actually to demote them to strong advisory notes — from the specification and re-publish the resulting document in last call, unless we manage to find implementation by tomorrow.

Francois.

Re: MWABP: Inform user about automatic use of network and provide control

Jeff Sonstein-3
On Jun 28, 2010, at 9:56 AM, Francois Daoust wrote:

> We've talked about best practices 5 and 6 last week:
> - Inform the User About Automatic Network Access:
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/mwabp/#bp-inform-automation
> - Provide Sufficient Means to Control Automatic Network Access
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/mwabp/#bp-inform-network
[...]
> As a reminder, we resolved last week to remove these best practices — actually to demote them to strong advisory notes — from the specification and re-publish the resulting document in last call, unless we manage to find implementation by tomorrow.

I've had a short email conversation  with Adam on this set of issues
and agree with him "about these becoming advisory/appendix materials"

I agree w François that
these are better placed as "strong advisory notes"...
the obvious implementations of this which I have found
are actually in Web-focused apps
and are about sending personal data
rather than in browser-based settings
which are doing generic network access

jeffs

--
The spirit of democracy cannot be imposed from without.
It has to come from within.

Prof. Jeff Sonstein

http://www.it.rit.edu/~jxs/
http://ariadne.iz.net/~jeffs/