MHTML

Threaded

MHTML

honyk
Dear All,

what is the relation of MHTML to W3?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MHTML
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2557

Is it a standard or it should be considered rather as a proposal?

I can see a big shift of paged media outputs from PDF to HTML+CSS. The
latter consist of several separate files which are not so handy to
distribute. There are several ways how to compact it into a single file. I
can think of:
(1) MHTML
(2) inject CSS directly into HTML and embed all other resources as Base64
encoded objects (images, fonts)
(3) create e-Pub

As the MHTML is widely supported in major browsers/their extensions, I tend
to follow this route for my future projects.

Or is there any W3 way to handle this use case, i.e. HTML+CSS+Resources
container?

Thanks, Jan

Threaded

RE: MHTML

Jan Tosovsky
On 2014-04-01 Jan Tosovsky wrote:

> what is the relation of MHTML to W3?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MHTML
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2557
>
> Is it a standard or it should be considered rather as a proposal?
>
> I can see a big shift of paged media outputs from PDF to HTML+CSS. The
> latter consist of several separate files which are not so handy to
> distribute. There are several ways how to compact it into a single
> file. I can think of:
> (1) MHTML
> (2) inject CSS directly into HTML and embed all other resources as
>     Base64 encoded objects (images, fonts)
> (3) create e-Pub
>
> As the MHTML is widely supported in major browsers/their extensions, I
> tend to follow this route for my future projects.
>
> Or is there any W3 way to handle this use case, i.e. HTML+CSS+Resources
> container?
I've recently come across https://w3c.github.io/epubweb/ which gives me an
answer (3). Unfortunately, this format is not implemented yet as a default
archive format in any major browser.

Jan

winmail.dat (3K) Download Attachment