Links article updated

Chris Mills-6
Hi folks,

For my first trick today, I've updated the HTML links article of the WSC. This is now ready to proof/translate. I mainly just cleaned up the text generally. I didn't add a section about block level linking, because currently, AFAICS, browsers seem to do odd things when you put links around block level content. Anyone else experienced this?

http://www.w3.org/wiki/HTML_links_-_lets_build_a_web

--

Chris Mills
Open standards evangelist and dev.opera.com editor

* Try our browsers: http://www.opera.com
* Learn to build a better web, with the Opera web standards curriculum: http://www.opera.com/wsc
* Learn about the latest open standards technologies and techniques: http://dev.opera.com

Re: Links article updated

Jeremie Patonnier
Hello

2011/8/17 Chris Mills <[hidden email]>
browsers seem to do odd things when you put links around block level content. Anyone else experienced this?

I have not tested all browsers, but odd things happen every time you put a block level content inside an inline level content. The best approche to fixe almost all odd behavior consist in manually adding a CSS "display:inline-block" or "display:block" upon the inline parent.

I'm not an HTML5 expert but I guess that it should be some automatic mechanism to deal with that issue in the spec : http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-a-element

Let's quote : "Flow content. When the element only contains phrasing content: phrasing content."

For what I know very few browser deal smoothly with this behavior.

Cheers
--
Jeremie
Web : http://jeremie.patonnier.net
Twitter : @JeremiePat

Re: Links article updated

Chris Mills-6

On 17 Aug 2011, at 15:34, Jeremie Patonnier wrote:

Hello

2011/8/17 Chris Mills <[hidden email]>
browsers seem to do odd things when you put links around block level content. Anyone else experienced this?

I have not tested all browsers, but odd things happen every time you put a block level content inside an inline level content. The best approche to fixe almost all odd behavior consist in manually adding a CSS "display:inline-block" or "display:block" upon the inline parent.

ah! Schoolboy error! This is what I was missing ;-)

I have added a section to the article now: