Line Break

Shark
I have a suggestion,  can the HTML line break include an attribute to repeat?

would be the same as

Chris

Re: Line Break

Adam Grant
Why would you need 2 or more adjacent <br>s?

I have a suggestion,  can the HTML line break include an attribute to repeat?

would be the same as

Chris

Re: Line Break

Geoff McLane
Hi Chris,

Like Adam, tend to wonder about the use case for
this ;=))

To me a br is to break a line, not specifically to
add big vertical spaces in a document. There are
other ways to do that, like css...

But this is NOT the right place to suggest a HTML
RFC ;=()

Yes, HTML Tidy is loosely associated to the W3C,
but Tidy does not suggest HTML changes to the W3C.

Quite the opposite. Tidy tries to test your html
for conformity to the current W3C guide lines, as
they slowly evolve...

And thinking more about your RFC, the first step for
the W3C would be to get the major browsers to support
such a change... another very, very slow process...

So, good idea or not, I can not see it 'flying'
any time soon ;=))

But thanks for commenting...

Regards,
Geoff.

On 28/05/15 23:25, Adam Grant wrote:
Why would you need 2 or more adjacent <br>s?

I have a suggestion,  can the HTML line break include an attribute to repeat?

would be the same as

Chris

Re: Line Break

Richard A. O'Keefe
The proposal seems to interpret "cause a line BREAK" as
"insert an EMPTY LINE".  It is not clear from the HTML5
spec that this interpretation is justified.  The note,

    While line breaks are usually represented in visual
    media by physically moving subsequent text to a new
    line, a style sheet or user agent would be equally
    justified in causing line breaks to be rendered in
    a different manner, for instance as green dots, or
    as extra spacing.

does not encourage a simplistic reading.

The CSS default for HTML was

    br:before       { content: "\A"; white-space: pre-line }

but that _is_ only a default.  I don't perfectly understand
'pre-line', but it says

    This value directs user agents to COLLAPSE SEQUENCES
    OF WHITE SPACE.  Lines are broken at preserved newlines
    and to fill line boxes.

which makes me wonder whether <br><br> could or should be
handled just like a single <br>.  To be safe,
I'd use

I'm wondering why just having newlines inside a <pre> would
not do whatever it is that needs doing.