Legal Notice in Individual SKOS Glossaries Missing

Legal Notice in Individual SKOS Glossaries Missing

Sina K. Heshmati

ugin to support the SKOS vocabulary is being developed for Apache Forrest [1].
A few glossaries that are made available [2] by the W3C Glossary and Dictionary Project [3] in SKOS format have been selected to serve as samples to demonstrate
how the plugin aggregates content from external sources.

As a result, the content from an external source may be presented in pages with
Apache copyright statement. Therefore, we need to make sure that the right legal
notice is associated with the aggregated content. To that end, I was wondering
if a project committer could add an explicit legal notice to SKOS glossaries [2],
so that we'll be able to refer to those resources in our source code.

Sina K. Heshmati

[1] http://forrest.apache.org/
[2] http://www.w3.org/2003/03/glossary-project/data/glossaries/
[3] http://www.w3.org/QA/2003/01/Glossary

Re: Legal Notice in Individual SKOS Glossaries Missing

Dominique Hazael-Massieux-2

Hi,
Le vendredi 03 août 2007 à 16:03 +0200, Sina K. Heshmati a écrit :
> A few glossaries that are made available [2] by the W3C Glossary and Dictionary Project [3] in SKOS format have been selected to serve as samples to demonstrate
> how the plugin aggregates content from external sources.
>
> As a result, the content from an external source may be presented in pages with
> Apache copyright statement. Therefore, we need to make sure that the right legal
> notice is associated with the aggregated content. To that end, I was wondering
> if a project committer could add an explicit legal notice to SKOS glossaries [2],
> so that we'll be able to refer to those resources in our source code.

I have added the following notice to most glossaries in the W3C
glossary:

<rdf:Description rdf:about="">
  <dc:rights xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-documents-20021231" />
</rdf:Description>

There is once instance where the license terms refer to a different URI
(the one for the HTTP spec), and one for which the licensing terms are
undefined (and for which I didn't set any value).

Hope this helps,

Dom

> [1] http://forrest.apache.org/
> [2] http://www.w3.org/2003/03/glossary-project/data/glossaries/
> [3] http://www.w3.org/QA/2003/01/Glossary

Re: Legal Notice in Individual SKOS Glossaries Missing

Sina K. Heshmati

Dominique Hazael-Massieux,

It would be good if we kept the dc:rights for human-readable copyright notice, and eventually use dcterms:license for the license URL. So, the rdf:Description with an empty rdf:about wouldn't be needed and instead, the following properties could be added to the main rdf:Description.

<dcterms:license xmlns:dcterms="http://purl.org/dc/terms/"  rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-documents-20021231"/>
<dc:rights>Copyright &#169; [THE RELEVANT COPYRIGHT STATEMENT]</dc:rights>

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank you on behalf of the Forrest community.

Sina K. Heshmati