Latest HTACG / Tidy News

Jim Derry
Good day subscribers,

On behalf of the small HTACG group, I wanted to take the opportunity to provide you an update on our progress towards releasing a new, modern Tidy.

Although we've pushed the release date back for an official release by a couple of weeks, things are looking really good for Tidy. Since 2015-January-15:

- Added support for svg, picture, mathml, and more.

- Fixed numerous bugs.

- HTACG has a nice landing page: http://www.htacg.org

- Tidy's website is refreshed and modern: http://www.html-tidy.org

- We are getting very close to a final strategy for providing binary distributions once again.

- We will reach out to maintainers for popular repositories in an effort to help them update distributions to include modern Tidy.

If you are interested in particulars then I encourage you to look at the project's commit history (https://github.com/htacg/tidy-html5/commits/master).

If you've not used Tidy in a while, then we hope that you can try our current pre-release version and give us some feedback.

Although we've made a lot of progress, the project itself needs some help, and if you have an interest in Tidy and its future, we invite you to join us. You do not have to be a C coder!

- HTACG could still use some help in developing a governance process.

- Any general project management experience is welcome.

- HTML and/or Jekyll experience can help with our websites.

- Social media users can help us spread the word to a larger audience.

- Doxygen / Code documenters can help us build a world-class set of documentation.

- Should we add something to our websites? Write it and we will consider it.

- Suggestions are always welcome. If you use Tidy, you are already part of the community. Let your voice be heard.

--
---
Jim Derry
Clinton Township, MI, USA
Nanjing, Jiangsu, China PRC

Re: Latest HTACG / Tidy News

John Coggeshall
Hello!

It's good to see some life in this project! I am the maintainer of the PHP bindings for tidy.

With the new life what do we need to know from an API perspective? I am curious, especially since we are working on PHP 7, if we should take a look at a large rewrite to take advantage of new lib tidy features or is there little to care about in Api changes?

John

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 11:59 PM, Jim Derry <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Nanjing, Jiangsu, China PRC

Re: Latest HTACG / Tidy News

Alice Wonder-2

On 02/28/2015 08:34 AM, John Coggeshall wrote:

> Hello!
>
> It's good to see some life in this project! I am the maintainer of the
> PHP bindings for tidy.
>
> With the new life what do we need to know from an API perspective? I am
> curious, especially since we are working on PHP 7, if we should take a
> look at a large rewrite to take advantage of new lib tidy features or is
> there little to care about in Api changes?
>
> John

The php bindings for tidy are _very_ important to me, so thank you :)

my hope is that there will be bindings for the new libtidy for php 5.6.x

I maintain http://awel.domblogger.net/7/php/ which is php 5.6.x for RHEL
7 and I'm hoping I can throw an rpm for the new libtidy (when ready) w/
php-tidy linked against it.

But if there is a large API change, I can be patient.

Re: Latest HTACG / Tidy News

Jim Derry
Hi John,

Nothing about the API is changing at all, except the addition of a version number. After some discussion (you may see on the archives) we will leave the version date alone.

You can test the PHP bindings with the pre-release build at your convenience: https://github.com/htacg/tidy-html5

If you have any issues with the bindings or API, there’s probably still time to look into it before we release -RC.1. Let us know.

> On Mar 1, 2015, at 12:34 AM, John Coggeshall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello!
>
> It's good to see some life in this project! I am the maintainer of the PHP bindings for tidy.
>
> With the new life what do we need to know from an API perspective? I am curious, especially since we are working on PHP 7, if we should take a look at a large rewrite to take advantage of new lib tidy features or is there little to care about in Api changes?
>
> John
>

> On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 11:59 PM, Jim Derry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Good day subscribers,
>
> On behalf of the small HTACG group, I wanted to take the opportunity to provide you an update on our progress towards releasing a new, modern Tidy.
>
> Although we've pushed the release date back for an official release by a couple of weeks, things are looking really good for Tidy. Since 2015-January-15:
>
> - Added support for svg, picture, mathml, and more.
>
> - Fixed numerous bugs.
>
> - HTACG has a nice landing page: http://www.htacg.org
>
> - Tidy's website is refreshed and modern: http://www.html-tidy.org
>
> - We are getting very close to a final strategy for providing binary distributions once again.
>
> - We will reach out to maintainers for popular repositories in an effort to help them update distributions to include modern Tidy.
>

> If you are interested in particulars then I encourage you to look at the project's commit history (https://github.com/htacg/tidy-html5/commits/master).
>
> If you've not used Tidy in a while, then we hope that you can try our current pre-release version and give us some feedback.
>
> Although we've made a lot of progress, the project itself needs some help, and if you have an interest in Tidy and its future, we invite you to join us. You do not have to be a C coder!
>
> - HTACG could still use some help in developing a governance process.
>
> - Any general project management experience is welcome.
>
> - HTML and/or Jekyll experience can help with our websites.
>
> - Social media users can help us spread the word to a larger audience.
>
> - Doxygen / Code documenters can help us build a world-class set of documentation.
>
> - Should we add something to our websites? Write it and we will consider it.
>
> - Suggestions are always welcome. If you use Tidy, you are already part of the community. Let your voice be heard.
>

> --
> ---
> Jim Derry
> Clinton Township, MI, USA
> Nanjing, Jiangsu, China PRC

Re: [Tidy-dev] Latest HTACG / Tidy News

Thierry Thomas
Le sam 28 fév 15 à  5:54:06 +0100, Jim Derry <[hidden email]>
 écrivait :

> Good day subscribers,

Hello,

> - We will reach out to maintainers for popular repositories in an effort to
> help them update distributions to include modern Tidy.

It's now in the FreeBSD ports tree:
http://www.freshports.org/www/tidy-html5/

Everything is fine, no patch needed!

Best regards,