***Now with DIG Interface***
***High-performance OWL DL reasoner***
The AIFB and the FZI Institute at the University of Karlsruhe, in
cooperation with ontoprise GmbH, are pleased to announce KAON2 -- a new
tool for management of OWL ontologies and reasoning. The following
functionalities are provided by the tool:
- KAON2 provides an integrated API for reading, writing, and management
of OWL DL ontologies extended with SWRL rules. Currently, OWL RDF and
OWL XML file formats are supported.
- KAON2 provides a built-in reasoner for OWL DL (except nominals and
datatypes), extended with DL-safe subset of SWRL. (I.e. KAON2 fully
supports SHIQ extended with DL-safe rules.)
Reasoning is based on novel algorithms, which reduce an OWL ontology to
a (disjunctive) datalog program. These algorithms allow KAON2 to handle
relatively large ontologies with high efficiency. Its performance
compares favorably with other state-of-the-art OWL DL reasoners.
Detailed performance evaluations will shortly be available at
- KAON2 supports the answering of conjunctive queries expressed in SPARQL.
- KAON2 can be used either as a library from other applications,
or in server mode. In the latter case, KAON2 is started as a server
process, and clients can connect to the server using appropriate APIs.
- KAON2 supports the DIG interface, and can therefore be used with
ontology editors such as Prot?g? or OilEd.
- KAON2 can access information stored in relational databases based on
mappings between ontology entities and database tables.
KAON2 is available free of charge for non-commercial usage. For download
and more information about the tool, the supported formalisms and the
reasoning algorithms, please visit the following Web page: