Jigsaw as a caching proxy server

David Smiley @MITRE.org
I am trying to use Jigsaw as a caching proxy server.
I followed the instructions here:
http://www.w3.org/Jigsaw/Doc/User/proxy.html
I got it working.  However, it seems to not be doing any caching (from wire traffic observations), but it's possible I'm wrong.  Do I need to add the "CacheFilter" or some other such component; and basically how is that done?

Might anyone recommend an alternative Java based caching proxy server (not necessarily "production" grade but suitable for experimentation)?  What's drawn me to Jigsaw is that it's Java and that it adheres to the HTTP caching related specs well (from my observations of the source).

~ David Smiley
  MITRE

Re: Jigsaw as a caching proxy server

Yves Lafon

On Fri, 18 May 2007, David Smiley wrote:

> I am trying to use Jigsaw as a caching proxy server.
> I followed the instructions here:
> http://www.w3.org/Jigsaw/Doc/User/proxy.html
> I got it working.  However, it seems to not be doing any caching (from wire
> traffic observations), but it's possible I'm wrong.  Do I need to add the
> "CacheFilter" or some other such component; and basically how is that done?

Yes the CacheFilter needs to be added. The fastest way is to edit
"http-server.props" and put the following lines:
org.w3c.www.protocol.http.filters=org.w3c.www.protocol.http.cache.CacheFilter
org.w3c.www.protocol.http.cache.size=<what you want in bytes>
org.w3c.www.protocol.http.proxy.debug=false
See
http://www.w3.org/Jigsaw/Doc/Reference/org.w3c.www.protocol.http.cache.CacheFilter.html

> Might anyone recommend an alternative Java based caching proxy server (not
> necessarily "production" grade but suitable for experimentation)?  What's
> drawn me to Jigsaw is that it's Java and that it adheres to the HTTP caching
> related specs well (from my observations of the source).

You can try Rabbit at http://rabbit-proxy.sourceforge.net/

Baroula que barouleras, au tiƩu toujou t'entourneras.

         ~~Yves