Is it possible to have icons instead of bullets in TOC

Is it possible to have icons instead of bullets in TOC

Alma Hunt
Hi,

I have created a TOC using Amaya 11.3 ver on Windows XP platform. The main chapter in the TOC has topics/ sub topics listed in bullets. Is it possible to replace these bullets by icons? Please let me know how I can proceed.

Attached is the sample screen-shot.
5-13-2010+11-51-53+AM.gif

Thanks.

Re: Is it possible to have icons instead of bullets in TOC

Charles McCathieNevile-2
On Thu, 13 May 2010 08:18:01 +0200, Alma Hunt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have created a TOC using Amaya 11.3 ver on Windows XP platform. The
> main chapter in the TOC has topics/ sub topics listed in bullets. Is it
> possible to replace these bullets by icons? Please let me know how I can
> proceed.

Yep. Select the list, and then in the format menu select the style editor.
In the format tab of that editor you can select "list-style-image" (or
something) which will let you select the icon you want to use for the list.

You might need to tweak the style sheet a bit to make it apply
specifically to the TOC - I haven't played with that yet but would be
interested to hear how you get along.

cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathieNevile  Opera Software, Standards Group
http://my.opera.com/chaals       Try Opera: http://www.opera.com

Re: Is it possible to have icons instead of bullets in TOC

Alma Hunt
Charles, thank you for the prompt reply.
This worked only for first level bulleted list. I am not able to do the same for a nested list of this kind...
1. xxx
2. xxx
    a) xxxx
    b) xxxx

Kindly suggest what should be my next step.

Charles McCathieNevile-2 wrote
On Thu, 13 May 2010 08:18:01 +0200, Alma Hunt <ayesha.nk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have created a TOC using Amaya 11.3 ver on Windows XP platform. The
> main chapter in the TOC has topics/ sub topics listed in bullets. Is it
> possible to replace these bullets by icons? Please let me know how I can
> proceed.

Yep. Select the list, and then in the format menu select the style editor.
In the format tab of that editor you can select "list-style-image" (or
something) which will let you select the icon you want to use for the list.

You might need to tweak the style sheet a bit to make it apply
specifically to the TOC - I haven't played with that yet but would be
interested to hear how you get along.

cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathieNevile  Opera Software, Standards Group
http://my.opera.com/chaals       Try Opera: http://www.opera.com

Re: Is it possible to have icons instead of bullets in TOC

Jeff Hunt-5
Amaya has two ways of dealing with this.
One is <li><span style="list-style-image: url(point.gif);">write
something here</span></li>
which only affects the single list item and is what will happen if you
have the cursor at a point in a list but no selection -
or for a whole list or sub-list Amaya will put the style in the list itself.

I created the code below with only point and click using Charles' technique.

<ol style="list-style-image: url(w3c-amaya.gif);">
  <li>one</li>
  <li>two
    <ol style="list-style-image: url(point.gif);">
      <li>oneone</li>
      <li>twotow</li>
      <li>threethree</li>
      <li>fourfour</li>
    </ol>
  </li>
  <li>three</li>
  <li>four</li>
</ol>

First of all create the lists by inserting them as you probably did.
Then select the sub-list, but make sure you have the whole sub-list
selected. Dragging will leave the end members off so use F2 or click
on the sequence on the status bar at the bottom to select the correct
list then use Format > Style Editor > Style > list-style-image to
insert the image.

Then select the whole list and do the process again with a second
image that will affect the main list.

It was fun experimenting with this. Ask again if it's not clear.

On 5/13/10, Alma Hunt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Charles, thank you for the prompt reply.
> This worked only for first level bulleted list. I am not able to do the same
> for a nested list of this kind...
> 1. xxx
> 2. xxx
>     a) xxxx
>     b) xxxx
>
> Kindly suggest what should be my next step.
>

> Charles McCathieNevile-2 wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 13 May 2010 08:18:01 +0200, Alma Hunt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have created a TOC using Amaya 11.3 ver on Windows XP platform. The
>>> main chapter in the TOC has topics/ sub topics listed in bullets. Is it
>>> possible to replace these bullets by icons? Please let me know how I can
>>>
>>> proceed.
>>
>> Yep. Select the list, and then in the format menu select the style editor.
>>
>> In the format tab of that editor you can select "list-style-image" (or
>> something) which will let you select the icon you want to use for the
>> list.
>>
>> You might need to tweak the style sheet a bit to make it apply
>> specifically to the TOC - I haven't played with that yet but would be
>> interested to hear how you get along.
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> Chaals
>>
>> --
>> Charles McCathieNevile  Opera Software, Standards Group
>>      je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg lærer norsk
>> http://my.opera.com/chaals       Try Opera: http://www.opera.com

RE: Is it possible to have icons instead of bullets in TOC

Emmanuelle Gutiérrez y Restrepo-3
Hi Alma,

There is another simple and elegant way to define from the style sheet, how
you want to have the lists and sublists:

In the style sheet:

ul li (list-style-image: url (graf / bigdot.gif);)
li ul li (list-style-image: url (graf / tinydot.gif);)

But also, if you want to decide what should display the image lists and what
not, then:

In the style sheet creates the class:

.bigdot (list-style-image: url (../graf/bigdot.gif);)

.tinydot (list-style-image: url (../graf/tinydot.gif);)

In the source code then you can call one kind or another in each list or
sublist.

<ul class="bigdot">
<li>Pears</li>
<li>Apples