Is XFN a Compound Document Profile?

Bjoern Hoehrmann

Dear Experts on Compound Document Profiles,

  I have a little doubt, I would appreciate your help. Is the "XHTML
Friends Network" -- http://www.gmpg.org/xfn/ -- a compound document
profile in the sense that W3C uses this term? I'd like to update some
conformance checkers if it's not...

Thanks for your help,

Re: Is XFN a Compound Document Profile?

Mark Baker

(not speaking for the WG)

On 2/14/06, Bjoern Hoehrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Experts on Compound Document Profiles,
>
>   I have a little doubt, I would appreciate your help. Is the "XHTML
> Friends Network" -- http://www.gmpg.org/xfn/ -- a compound document
> profile in the sense that W3C uses this term? I'd like to update some
> conformance checkers if it's not...

I think that's essentially equivalent to asking if an XFN document is
a compound document.  Technically, I don't think it is, as our
definition says;

"The compound document is a document that combines separate component
languages either by reference or by inclusion"
 -- http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-CDR-20051219/#definitions

... and an XFN document is an HTML document with extensions, rather
than two separate languages.  But an HTML document with, say, an
embedded(*) vCard would be a compound document because that vCard is
interpreted independently of any HTML extensibility rules.

FYI, I happened to write a blog entry about this same topic a few weeks ago;

https://www.xfytec.com/community/modules/news/article.php?storyid=49

(*) the mechanics of embedding are important too viz a viz the
semantic differences between namespace vs. media type dispatching.
The CDI spec will hopefully talk in detail about this.

Mark.