Interfaces

Mark Nottingham-4

I'm seeing some confusion when people say "interface" in relation to
the Web; a RESTifarian will say that the interface is uniform --
e.g., GET, PUT, DELETE, POST -- but there's also a colloquial use of
"interface" to indicate the set of resources that a Web application
exposes; e.g., "the Flickr REST interface."

Anybody have a better term for the latter (that isn't too unnatural)?

--
Mark Nottingham

Re: Interfaces

Danny Ayers

On 3/27/06, Mark Nottingham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm seeing some confusion when people say "interface" in relation to
> the Web; a RESTifarian will say that the interface is uniform --
> e.g., GET, PUT, DELETE, POST -- but there's also a colloquial use of
> "interface" to indicate the set of resources that a Web application
> exposes; e.g., "the Flickr REST interface."
>
> Anybody have a better term for the latter (that isn't too unnatural)?

Still seems an improvement on calling everything an API, though having
said that...

"Interface" seems not-inaccurate for both cases, so (in lieu of a more
distinctive alternative) how about using qualifiers, maybe "common" or
"base" interface for the HTTP methods, "domain" or even "application"
interface for Flickr etc..?

Cheers,
Danny.

http://dannyayers.com

Re: Interfaces

Jan Algermissen

Hi,

while I do not have a good term, I suggest looking at this in terms
of the question: what role do resources play with regard to a RESTful
application.

Hmm, just thinking this: why not indeed use "interface" or API and at
the same time pointing out that the API-as-set-methods idea is
useless in REST anyhow.

You might also look at the issue that way: what does a client
programer program against (what does she have to know) in the REST
world?
The answer is: the semantics of the hypermedia used by the
application (in order to execute the application). Actually, the
question of what resources there are in an application should not be
part of the shared knowledge between client and server since that
resource set can change at runtime.

Bottom line: do not describe a REST application in terms of the
resources exposed (except for a small set of enry points of course).

Just thoughts, hope they help.

Jan

On Mar 27, 2006, at 9:45 PM, Danny Ayers wrote:

> On 3/27/06, Mark Nottingham <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm seeing some confusion when people say "interface" in relation to
>> the Web; a RESTifarian will say that the interface is uniform --
>> e.g., GET, PUT, DELETE, POST -- but there's also a colloquial use of
>> "interface" to indicate the set of resources that a Web application
>> exposes; e.g., "the Flickr REST interface."
>>
>> Anybody have a better term for the latter (that isn't too unnatural)?
>
> Still seems an improvement on calling everything an API, though having
> said that...
>
> "Interface" seems not-inaccurate for both cases, so (in lieu of a more
> distinctive alternative) how about using qualifiers, maybe "common" or
> "base" interface for the HTTP methods, "domain" or even "application"
> interface for Flickr etc..?
>
> Cheers,
> Danny.
>

> --
>
> http://dannyayers.com

Re: Interfaces

Jan Algermissen

Follow up..

On Mar 27, 2006, at 9:21 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:

>  but there's also a colloquial use of "interface" to indicate the
> set of resources that a Web application exposes; e.g., "the Flickr
> REST interface."
>
> Anybody have a better term for the latter (that isn't too unnatural)?

What about "the application entry points" or "the application entry
resources" (as in 'the Flickr entry resources')?

Jan

> --
> Mark Nottingham

Re: Interfaces

Leigh Dodds

Mark Nottingham wrote:

> I'm seeing some confusion when people say "interface" in relation to the
> Web; a RESTifarian will say that the interface is uniform -- e.g., GET,
> PUT, DELETE, POST -- but there's also a colloquial use of "interface" to
> indicate the set of resources that a Web application exposes; e.g., "the
> Flickr REST interface."
>
> Anybody have a better term for the latter (that isn't too unnatural)?

I see API used commonly in the latter example.

Or perhaps more generally: "service(s)"

Cheers,

L.

--