Interesting blog: "Online retail : How Best Buy is using Semantic Technology to define a new trend"

Interesting blog: "Online retail : How Best Buy is using Semantic Technology to define a new trend"

Ivan Herman-2
[[[
GoodRelations + RDFa improved the rank of the respective pages in Google
tremendously.

Jay also reported a 30 % percent (!) increase in traffic on the BestBuy
stores pages,

Yahoo observes a 15% increase in the Click-through-Rate (CTR). Nick Cox
from Yahoo also recently reported that augmented search results, e.g.
those with GoodRelations / RDFa in Yahoo get a 15 % higher
Click-through-Rate

]]] (Jay Myers, Lead Web Development Engineer for Best Buy, Co., Inc.,)

http://priyankmohan.blogspot.com/2009/12/online-retail-how-best-buy-is-using.html

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Interesting blog: "Online retail : How Best Buy is using Semantic Technology to define a new trend"

Manu Sporny
Ivan Herman wrote:

> [[[
> GoodRelations + RDFa improved the rank of the respective pages in Google
> tremendously.
>
> Jay also reported a 30 % percent (!) increase in traffic on the BestBuy
> stores pages,
>
> Yahoo observes a 15% increase in the Click-through-Rate (CTR). Nick Cox
> from Yahoo also recently reported that augmented search results, e.g.
> those with GoodRelations / RDFa in Yahoo get a 15 % higher
> Click-through-Rate
>
> ]]] (Jay Myers, Lead Web Development Engineer for Best Buy, Co., Inc.,)

This is huge! I don't think that we can underscore the importance of
this finding enough when speaking about the practical reasons for
/immediately/ adopting RDFa, especially in commerce.

This is hard evidence that marking up the semantic information in a web
page has had a direct and measurable impact on a company's bottom line.
Semwebers have been postulating this for years, but now there is hard
data to back up the claim.

Hats off to Jay Myers (Best Buy) and Nick Cox (Yahoo!) for doing an
absolutely bang up job implementing RDFa and presenting their findings!

-- manu

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Bitmunk 3.2 Launched - The Legal P2P Music Network
http://blog.digitalbazaar.com/2009/11/30/bitmunk-3-2-launched/

Re: Interesting blog: "Online retail : How Best Buy is using Semantic Technology to define a new trend"

Mani Kumar-2
Absolutely awesome.

This is what everyone (i think) must be waiting for, to persuade
higher management in a company to produce semantic data.

Now people can not say there is no benefit in generating semantic data.

No more questions like following will be raised:
* We are not going to invest our resources into something which
doesn't have direct impact on company's growth.

Thanks for sharing and kudos to Jay and Nick.

--
Mani Kumar