Installing W3C markup validator - stuck on step 5

Installing W3C markup validator - stuck on step 5

Mikkel Sandberg
Hi,
I'm trying to set up the validator on my computer at work (it's a Mac) and I get an error when I do the last part of step 4 (testing the validator script).
This is the html that it outputs:

<h1>Software error:</h1>

<pre>Can't locate SGML/Parser/OpenSP.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /Library/Perl/5.16/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.16 /Network/Library/Perl/5.16/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.16 /Library/Perl/Updates/5.16.2/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/Updates/5.16.2 /System/Library/Perl/5.16/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.16 /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.16/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.16) at ./check line 64.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./check line 64.

</pre>

For help, please send mail to this site's webmaster, giving this error message

and the time and date of the error.

It seems at first glance that the problem is that part of the DTD library didn't install correctly, and I'm not really sure how to troubleshoot this. Thanks for your help!

- Mikkel Sandberg

Re: Installing W3C markup validator - stuck on step 5

Michael[tm] Smith
Mikkel Sandberg <[hidden email]>, 2015-03-26 23:42 +0000:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to set up the validator on my computer at work (it's a Mac) and
> I get an error when I do the last part of step 4 (testing the validator
> script).
> This is the html that it outputs:
>
> <h1>Software error:</h1>
>
> <pre>Can't locate SGML/Parser/OpenSP.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
> /Library/Perl/5.16/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.16
> /Network/Library/Perl/5.16/darwin-thread-multi-2level
> /Network/Library/Perl/5.16
> /Library/Perl/Updates/5.16.2/darwin-thread-multi-2level
> /Library/Perl/Updates/5.16.2
> /System/Library/Perl/5.16/darwin-thread-multi-2level
> /System/Library/Perl/5.16
> /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.16/darwin-thread-multi-2level
> /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.16) at ./check line 64.
>
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./check line 64.
> It seems at first glance that the problem is that part of the DTD library
> didn't install correctly, and I'm not really sure how to troubleshoot this.

I recommend cutting your losses and just giving up. The code
(Perl+SGML+DTDs) for the legacy validator service is no longer actively
maintained and there is now almost now value in running an instance of that
old service anyway.

The code for the current HTML checker is actively maintained and documented:

  http://validator.github.io/validator/

And it’s also much easier to install: It’s just distributed as a single jar
file that you can run either directly from the command line or, if you
prefer, as a Web service:

  http://validator.github.io/validator/#web-based-checking

--
Michael[tm] Smith https://people.w3.org/mike

Re: Installing W3C markup validator - stuck on step 5

Chuck Houpt

> On Mar 26, 2015, at 7:42 PM, Mikkel Sandberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm trying to set up the validator on my computer at work (it's a Mac) and I get an error when I do the last part of step 4 (testing the validator script).

If you do need DTD-based validation on your Mac, then you might consider using Validator-SAC, which has all the necessary libraries packaged into the application:

http://habilis.net/validator-sac/

The page also has instructions for setting up the validator for use on your local-network:

http://habilis.net/validator-sac/#advancedtopics

Cheers - Chuck

Re: Installing W3C markup validator - stuck on step 5

Mikkel Sandberg
Ok, thanks!

Michael[tm] Smith https://people.w3.org/mike

Re: Installing W3C markup validator - stuck on step 5

Mikkel Sandberg
Ok, thank you!

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 9:23 AM Chuck Houpt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 26, 2015, at 7:42 PM, Mikkel Sandberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm trying to set up the validator on my computer at work (it's a Mac) and I get an error when I do the last part of step 4 (testing the validator script).

If you do need DTD-based validation on your Mac, then you might consider using Validator-SAC, which has all the necessary libraries packaged into the application:

http://habilis.net/validator-sac/

The page also has instructions for setting up the validator for use on your local-network:

http://habilis.net/validator-sac/#advancedtopics

Cheers - Chuck

Re: Installing W3C markup validator - stuck on step 5

Eric Richards-2
sorry replying from cell phone. is there a windows install for a
validator and what is the URL From ERIC

On 3/31/15, Mikkel Sandberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, thanks!
>
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 2:02 AM Michael[tm] Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Mikkel Sandberg <[hidden email]>, 2015-03-26 23:42 +0000:
>> [hidden email]>
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> > I'm trying to set up the validator on my computer at work (it's a Mac)
>> and
>> > I get an error when I do the last part of step 4 (testing the validator
>> > script).
>> > This is the html that it outputs:
>> >
>> > <h1>Software error:</h1>
>> >
>> > <pre>Can't locate SGML/Parser/OpenSP.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
>> > /Library/Perl/5.16/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.16
>> > /Network/Library/Perl/5.16/darwin-thread-multi-2level
>> > /Network/Library/Perl/5.16
>> > /Library/Perl/Updates/5.16.2/darwin-thread-multi-2level
>> > /Library/Perl/Updates/5.16.2
>> > /System/Library/Perl/5.16/darwin-thread-multi-2level
>> > /System/Library/Perl/5.16
>> > /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.16/darwin-thread-multi-2level
>> > /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.16) at ./check line 64.
>> >
>> > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./check line 64.
>> > It seems at first glance that the problem is that part of the DTD
>> > library
>> > didn't install correctly, and I'm not really sure how to troubleshoot
>> this.
>>
>> I recommend cutting your losses and just giving up. The code
>> (Perl+SGML+DTDs) for the legacy validator service is no longer actively
>> maintained and there is now almost now value in running an instance of
>> that
>> old service anyway.
>>
>> The code for the current HTML checker is actively maintained and
>> documented:
>>
>>   http://validator.github.io/validator/
>>
>> And it’s also much easier to install: It’s just distributed as a single
>> jar
>> file that you can run either directly from the command line or, if you
>> prefer, as a Web service:
>>
>>   http://validator.github.io/validator/#web-based-checking
>>
>> --
>> Michael[tm] Smith https://people.w3.org/mike

--

>From Eric

Support low data websites the only way to keep cellphone usage on Internet
affordable.

Re: Installing W3C markup validator - stuck on step 5

COLDFIRE DESIGN STUDIO ®
You can setup in Apache under Windows

COLDFIRE DESIGN STUDIO PVT LTD
web: www.coldfiredesignstudio.com | phone: +91 98763 37545 | email: [hidden email]

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. Every 3000 sheets of paper costs a tree. Print only when needed.

On 30-Mar-2015, at 23:49, Eric Richards <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

From Eric