Initiating work on the test suite for the Guidelines for Web Content Transformation Proxies

Initiating work on the test suite for the Guidelines for Web Content Transformation Proxies

Francois Daoust
Hi,

I have prepared a couple of things to kick off the work on the test
suite of the guidelines. This is meant to be material for discussion,
and see how we can proceed from there.

I have re-used some ideas from the recently published Method for Writing
Testable Conformance Requirements group note that I encourage you to
take a look at:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/NOTE-test-methodology-20100128/

In practice, I have:

1. updated the latest CT draft in place to add IDs to all must-level and
should-level statements so that they can be referenced from elsewhere.
This is done automatically with an XSLT stylesheet on the generated HTML
doc. Jo, you can continue to use your favorite xmlspec suite of tools
(ain't that cool?) and simply forget about the IDs.

See (well, you won't "see" any change, actually):
http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/TaskForces/CT/editors-drafts/Guidelines/100125.html

2. updated the Implementation Conformance Statement to reflect the
latest changes and to add the IDs of the normative statements. I have
removed the normative statements from the Conformance section, as I
don't see how one is supposed to send an implementation report claiming
that a product conforms to the spec when the report itself is a
pre-requisite to that claim.

See:
http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/TaskForces/CT/editors-drafts/Guidelines/ics-100125.html

3. prepared an empty container for the test suite document that is to
contain human-readable descriptions of the test cases. I put the
document on the "dev" server, as it's easier to grant read/write access
to people willing to contribute tests there, and easier to view the
history of changes and browse the test cases.

See:
http://dev.w3.org/2010/ct-guidelines/test-suite/

The document follows the same structure as the one made by the Webapps
Working Group for the Widgets P&C spec:
  http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets/test-suite/Overview.html

The document does not contain any test yet, the introduction would
clearly need to be completed, and it could be visually improved.
I have no concrete suggestion at this point about the format to use to
write the tests. I suggest we "just do it" with a few tests and see how
they get written.

Francois.

Related actions:
ACTION-1023 Kick off work on test suite for guidelines.
ACITON-1031 Create the initial document that is to contain
human-readable descriptions of the tests to implement.