Implicit labels

Balusani, Shirisha
Is implicit labelling is supported by all screen readers in all browsers?

Do we have to use for and id along with the implicit labels to make sure that the element tied to label is read by all AT users?

Thanks
Siri

RE: Implicit labels

Balusani, Shirisha
To be more clear:

Is that still true or is it outdated information?

Re: Implicit labels

Paul J. Adam
I would say that’s outdated information. I don’t know of any screen readers that don’t support wrapped labels.

Maybe there’s a bug with Dragon but it should be fixed if so.

Paul J. Adam
Accessibility Evangelist
www.deque.com

On Aug 22, 2016, at 11:05 AM, Balusani, Shirisha <[hidden email]> wrote:

To be more clear:

Is that still true or is it outdated information?

Is implicit labelling is supported by all screen readers in all browsers?

Do we have to use for and id along with the implicit labels to make sure that the element tied to label is read by all AT users?

Thanks
Siri

Re: Implicit labels

Mike Elledge
Hi Paul and Siri--

Why is the example considered an implicit label?

Mike

On Monday, August 22, 2016 12:26 PM, Paul J. Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:

I would say that’s outdated information. I don’t know of any screen readers that don’t support wrapped labels.

Maybe there’s a bug with Dragon but it should be fixed if so.

Paul J. Adam
Accessibility Evangelist
www.deque.com

On Aug 22, 2016, at 11:05 AM, Balusani, Shirisha <[hidden email]> wrote:

To be more clear:

Is that still true or is it outdated information?

Re: Implicit labels

Wayne Dick-3
Paul,

Implicit labels are fine. The WAI tutorial on Forms discusses them.  There are many reasons why explicit labels are not possible. For example, when elements are generated dynamically their label and id may not be known. Generating controls inside implicit labels does this.

Wayne

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 10:27 AM, Paul J. Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:

Paul J. Adam
Accessibility Evangelist
www.deque.com

On Aug 22, 2016, at 12:17 PM, Mike Elledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Paul and Siri--

Why is the example considered an implicit label?

Mike

On Monday, August 22, 2016 12:26 PM, Paul J. Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:

I would say that’s outdated information. I don’t know of any screen readers that don’t support wrapped labels.

Maybe there’s a bug with Dragon but it should be fixed if so.

Paul J. Adam
Accessibility Evangelist
www.deque.com

On Aug 22, 2016, at 11:05 AM, Balusani, Shirisha <[hidden email]> wrote:

To be more clear:

Is that still true or is it outdated information?

RE: Implicit labels

Gunderson, Jon R

Paul,

The problem use to be with earlier versions of IE that it would include the “value” attribute content of input[type=text’} elements as part of the label.

Jon