Iframes and landmarks

Balusani, Shirisha
Can Iframes that reside in a webpages have their own landmarks apart from the one the web page has?
If yes, then will  it  be confusing to the AT user having two banner roles , main and content info roles?

Thanks
Siri

RE: Iframes and landmarks

ALAN SMITH

Sri,

If you have multiple roles/regions/landmarks that are the same, always add a label such as aria-label=”The text you want them to hear but don’t duplicate the role term in this label since the role is already announced”.

Regards.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Iframes and landmarks

Léonie Watson-5
On 18/08/2016 18:47, Balusani, Shirisha wrote:
> Can Iframes that reside in a webpages have their own landmarks apart
> from the one the web page has?
> If yes, then will  it  be confusing to the AT user having two banner
> roles , main and content info roles?

Yes, landmarks inside an iframe will work the same as those in the
parent page. I would advise against having more than one main landmark
anywhere in the page though - the HTML specification permits only one
<main> element per page, and this is the element the main landmark role
relates to.

Léonie.

--
@LeonieWatson tink.uk Carpe diem

RE: Iframes and landmarks

Balusani, Shirisha
Thanks for your input.
I agree with you  :)

On 18/08/2016 18:47, Balusani, Shirisha wrote:
> Can Iframes that reside in a webpages have their own landmarks apart
> from the one the web page has?
> If yes, then will  it  be confusing to the AT user having two banner
> roles , main and content info roles?

Yes, landmarks inside an iframe will work the same as those in the parent page. I would advise against having more than one main landmark anywhere in the page though - the HTML specification permits only one <main> element per page, and this is the element the main landmark role relates to.

Léonie.

--
@LeonieWatson tink.uk Carpe diem

Re: Iframes and landmarks

Elizabeth J. Pyatt
I agree with this also, but I think one of the unspoken issues is that the the iFrame content may be coming from somewhere beyond the developer’s control. A common use of an iFrame is to embed content from Google and other sources.  Sometimes the iFrame may contain just a media element, but sometimes it’s more complex such as a form.

For instance, if I pull in content from service Foo (e.g. FooForm) and that page has its own properly coded set of ARIA landmarks, the developer will

One solution could be for Foo to develop some kind of landmark system that would integrate with being pulled into an iFrame…if that is the intention of Foo. But could a developer somehow mark the iFrame as an ASIDE with an appropriate label? Would the hierarchy be clear enough?

Just thinking aloud.

Elizabeth

> On Aug 19, 2016, at 11:26 AM, Léonie Watson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 18/08/2016 18:47, Balusani, Shirisha wrote:
>> Can Iframes that reside in a webpages have their own landmarks apart
>> from the one the web page has?
>> If yes, then will  it  be confusing to the AT user having two banner
>> roles , main and content info roles?
>
> Yes, landmarks inside an iframe will work the same as those in the parent page. I would advise against having more than one main landmark anywhere in the page though - the HTML specification permits only one <main> element per page, and this is the element the main landmark role relates to.
>
> Léonie.
>

> --
> @LeonieWatson tink.uk Carpe diem

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.
Instructional Designer
Teaching and Learning with Technology
Penn State University
[hidden email], (814) 865-0805 or (814) 865-2030 (Main Office)

3A Shields Building
University Park, PA 16802
http://www.personal.psu.edu/ejp10/psu
http://tlt.psu.edu

Unsubsctibe

Faith Knight

*Faith*

> On Aug 19, 2016, at 12:15 PM, Elizabeth Pyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I agree with this also, but I think one of the unspoken issues is that the the iFrame content may be coming from somewhere beyond the developer’s control. A common use of an iFrame is to embed content from Google and other sources.  Sometimes the iFrame may contain just a media element, but sometimes it’s more complex such as a form.
>
> For instance, if I pull in content from service Foo (e.g. FooForm) and that page has its own properly coded set of ARIA landmarks, the developer will
>
> One solution could be for Foo to develop some kind of landmark system that would integrate with being pulled into an iFrame…if that is the intention of Foo. But could a developer somehow mark the iFrame as an ASIDE with an appropriate label? Would the hierarchy be clear enough?
>
> Just thinking aloud.
>
> Elizabeth
>
>> On Aug 19, 2016, at 11:26 AM, Léonie Watson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 18/08/2016 18:47, Balusani, Shirisha wrote:
>>> Can Iframes that reside in a webpages have their own landmarks apart
>>> from the one the web page has?
>>> If yes, then will  it  be confusing to the AT user having two banner
>>> roles , main and content info roles?
>>
>> Yes, landmarks inside an iframe will work the same as those in the parent page. I would advise against having more than one main landmark anywhere in the page though - the HTML specification permits only one <main> element per page, and this is the element the main landmark role relates to.
>>
>> Léonie.
>>

>> --
>> @LeonieWatson tink.uk Carpe diem
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.
> Instructional Designer
> Teaching and Learning with Technology
> Penn State University
> [hidden email], (814) 865-0805 or (814) 865-2030 (Main Office)
>
> 3A Shields Building
> University Park, PA 16802
> http://www.personal.psu.edu/ejp10/psu
> http://tlt.psu.edu

RE: Iframes and landmarks

David Edward Best
The problem with iframes is that they often break the underlying page structure.
Since you often have no control over the iframe page structure, I recommend:

1. Enclose the iframe in a clearly defined landmark region of its own, or
2. Make the iframe collapsible/expandable, or
3. Notify the iframe owner to use a clearly defined Title and page structure.