If Header interaction with If-Match, etc

If Header interaction with If-Match, etc

Ken Murchison
What, if any, interaction does the If header have with the other
conditional headers?  HTTPbis part 4
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p4-conditional)
specifically states which headers can't/shouldn't be used together.

I assume that If-Match and If-None-Match shouldn't be used with If, but
what about If-[un]modified-Since and If?  Should an implementation just
look for and use If when specified and ignore all other conditionals?

--
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer
Carnegie Mellon University

Re: If Header interaction with If-Match, etc

Julian Reschke
On 2011-11-11 00:58, Ken Murchison wrote:
> What, if any, interaction does the If header have with the other
> conditional headers? HTTPbis part 4
> (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p4-conditional)
> specifically states which headers can't/shouldn't be used together.
>
> I assume that If-Match and If-None-Match shouldn't be used with If, but
> what about If-[un]modified-Since and If? Should an implementation just
> look for and use If when specified and ignore all other conditionals?

I would think the safest thing to do is to evaluate "If" in addition to
whatever else gets evaluated; but I have to confess I haven't thought
through all consequences.

Maybe we need to look at a few tricky examples?

Best regards, Julian