I-D Action: draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-03.txt

I-D Action: draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-03.txt

Internet-Drafts

 This draft is a work item of the Internationalized Resource Identifiers Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Guidelines for Internationalized Resource Identifiers with Bi- directional Characters (Bidi IRIs)
        Author(s)       : Martin J. Duerst
                          Larry Masinter
                          Adil Allawi
        Filename        : draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-03.txt
        Pages           : 12
        Date            : 2012-10-20

Abstract:
   This specification gives guidelines for selection, use, and
   presentation of International Resource Identifiers (IRIs) which
   include characters with inherent right-to-left (rtl) writing
   direction.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-03

http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-03

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

New Bidi draft (was: Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-03.txt)

Martin J. Dürst
Dear IRI WG,

With Larry's help, I have produced another version of
draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines.

Rather than looking at the ASCII-only versions, please look at one of
the following versions, which now have non-ASCII characters:

http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp/2012/pub/draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-03.html
http://tools.ietf.org/pdf/draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-03.pdf
http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp/2012/pub/draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-03.utf8.txt

The diff you should look at is the following:
http://tools.ietf.org//rfcdiff?url1=draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-02.txt&url2=http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp/2012/pub/draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-03.utf8.txt
(you may have to set the encoding to UTF-8 by hand).

This shows that one of the main changes is adding non-ASCII texts, in
particular in examples. Please carefully check them. I also have allowed
NSM (non-spacing marks) at the end of components. As Cary Karp and
Harald Alvestrand have shown in RFC 5893, this is important for Yiddish
and other languages. Also, in terms of bidi, it's actually non-brainer.

As usual, any and all comments welcome!

Regards,    Martin.

P.S.: One of my students, Shunsuke Oshima, is working hard on checking
the various conditions for character combinations in bidi components.
This is an extension of Harald's work for IDN labels. We hope that we
can soon present the conclusions of this work.