I-D Action: draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-01.txt

I-D Action: draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-01.txt

Internet-Drafts

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Internationalized Resource Identifiers Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Guidelines for Internationalized Resource Identifiers with Bi- directional Characters (Bidi IRIs)
        Author(s)       : Martin Duerst
                          Larry Masinter
                          Adil Allawi
        Filename        : draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-01.txt
        Pages           : 10
        Date            : 2012-03-02

   This specification gives guidelines for selection, use, presentation
   of International Resource Identifiers (IRI) which include characters
   with in inherent right-to-left (rtl) writing direction.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-01.txt

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-01.txt

Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-01.txt

r12a
Is there no PDF version of this.  I want to review it in comfort.

RI

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Activity Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

http://www.w3.org/International/
http://rishida.net/

On 02/03/2012 10:10, [hidden email] wrote:

> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Internationalized Resource Identifiers Working Group of the IETF.
>
> Title           : Guidelines for Internationalized Resource Identifiers with Bi- directional Characters (Bidi IRIs)
> Author(s)       : Martin Duerst
>                            Larry Masinter
>                            Adil Allawi
> Filename        : draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-01.txt
> Pages           : 10
> Date            : 2012-03-02
>
>     This specification gives guidelines for selection, use, presentation
>     of International Resource Identifiers (IRI) which include characters
>     with in inherent right-to-left (rtl) writing direction.
>

> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-01.txt

> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
>
> This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-01.txt

RE: I-D Action: draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-01.txt

Phillips, Addison-2
http://tools.ietf.org/pdf/draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-01.pdf

Addison

Peter Saint-Andre-2
Linked from here:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines/

On 3/2/12 10:06 AM, Richard Ishida wrote:

> Is there no PDF version of this.  I want to review it in comfort.
>
> RI
>

> Richard Ishida
> Internationalization Activity Lead
> W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)
>
> http://www.w3.org/International/
> http://rishida.net/
>
> On 02/03/2012 10:10, [hidden email] wrote:

>> directories. This draft is a work item of the Internationalized
>> Resource Identifiers Working Group of the IETF.
>>
>>     Title           : Guidelines for Internationalized Resource
>> Identifiers with Bi- directional Characters (Bidi IRIs)
>>     Author(s)       : Martin Duerst
>>                            Larry Masinter
>>                            Adil Allawi
>>     Filename        : draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-01.txt
>>     Pages           : 10
>>     Date            : 2012-03-02
>>
>>     This specification gives guidelines for selection, use, presentation
>>     of International Resource Identifiers (IRI) which include characters
>>     with in inherent right-to-left (rtl) writing direction.
>>

>> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-01.txt

>> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
>>
>> This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
>> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-01.txt

Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-01.txt

r12a
Well, that's slightly more comfortable, but nowhere near as easy on the
eye or economical on paper as
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-iri-comparison-01.pdf

On 02/03/2012 17:08, Phillips, Addison wrote:

> http://tools.ietf.org/pdf/draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-01.pdf
>
> Addison

FYI this is not a substantial change on the previous draft. It is primarily to reactivate the document as it lapsed. I will check in a more substantial refresh next week.

Adil

On 2 Mar 2012, at 17:17, Richard Ishida <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, that's slightly more comfortable, but nowhere near as easy on the eye or economical on paper as http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-iri-comparison-01.pdf
>
> RI
>

> Richard Ishida
> Internationalization Activity Lead
> W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)
>
> http://www.w3.org/International/
> http://rishida.net/
>
> On 02/03/2012 17:08, Phillips, Addison wrote:
>> http://tools.ietf.org/pdf/draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-01.pdf
>>
>> Addison

[off-topic] Internet Draft formats (PDF,...) Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines-01.txt

Martin J. Dürst
Hello Richard,

What do you mean by "comfortable"? Internet Drafts traditionally look
like typewritten stuff. There's a chance that that will change, a BOF is
planned for the upcoming Paris IETF (check for rfcform on
http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/83/). Ideally, there will be no need
anymore to have non-ASCII examples separate from the actual RFC. But I
expect any new format to very very conservatively take at least a year
to come into effect. There are simply too many people attached to the
old format, and too divergent wishes for a new format.

The comparison draft you cite below is in PDF simply because Larry
published it. Because he works for Adobe, he feels 'required' to submit
a PDF version when that's possible, the same way W3C team members (or
former team members like me) do their presentations using HTML.

If you can't stop your urge for PDF, you can get the XML source from the
subversion repository at
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/trac/log/draft-ietf-iri-3987bis, and
produce your own. I personally prefer the hypertext-enabled
typewriter-lookalike version at
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines.

Regards,   Martin.