[Hussein Shafie] Re: [docbook] Re: XInclude 1.1

[Hussein Shafie] Re: [docbook] Re: XInclude 1.1

Norman Walsh
Hussein Shafie wrote:

> However, the attribute copying feature as described in the Working Draft seems too restrictive to be really useful.

After reading your answer, I reword the above sentence as follows:

``However, the attribute copying feature as described in the Working
Draft seems too restrictive to be *directly* useful.''

Norman Walsh wrote:

> The intent, and I'll try to clarify this in the next draft, is that
> you'd use additional, namespace qualified attributes to pass along
> information that a subsequent step would use to resolve duplicate IDs
> and such.

OK.

> The goal of attribute copying in XInclude 1.1 is to provide a
> mechanism for some downstream process to be able to know where the
> XInclude boundaries occurred.
>
> Today, you simply can't tell so you have no hope of fixing things.

Understood.

> My goal is to build, as a separate spec, a vocabulary of extension
> attributes to use in, for example an XProc pipeline, to provide
> flavors of ID/IDREF fixup.

Thank you for these clarifications. I'll wait for the next draft, and
also for your separate spec, to learn more about how, in practice,
attribute copying can be used.