Http POST and Newlines

Dister Kemp

Hello Team,

      Greetings ! I am a bit confused if http post data can contain newlines (CRLF \r\n)
I looked into RFC 2616 got a general understanding of http post but still not sure if
CRLF in post data is allowed or not.

I have a webservice running on tomcat as a servlet. I have my own client application
which consumes this webservice. Though locally in my test network (LAN and via Internet)
the client app works fine, it fails sometimes over the internet. I am worried if firewalls or
gateways in the internet might drop Http packets which contain CRLF in post data.

I know I can do URLEncode on the post data, but I want to get an authoritative answer
saying this is absolutely necessary.

Thanks
Dister